The ULTIMATE list of DUCK Treats and Supplements...

Pics
This list was so useful! my ducks do not like dry food, since I got them, every day I give them their pellets, I have tried all sort of pellets but they simply refuse them. However lettuces, cooked vegetables are welcome they just then eat everything. Dry worms in the beginning were also welcome but for some reasons they do not like them so much as before. I have tried fruits but they do not even try them. They love scrambled eggs, I serve to all my birds (that is my parrots) once a week.

May I ask you few questions?

Are cold water shrimps ok? I know they eat them in the wild, but not so sure for pet ducks.
Papaya is full of vitamins and very good for parrots, it is very peppery though, and I have not tried to give them any, is it ok for ducks?
Do ducks play? If so, what would they play with?

This list was so useful! my ducks do not like dry food, since I got them, every day I give them their pellets, I have tried all sort of pellets but they simply refuse them. However lettuces, cooked vegetables are welcome they just then eat everything. Dry worms in the beginning were also welcome but for some reasons they do not like them so much as before. I have tried fruits but they do not even try them. They love scrambled eggs, I serve to all my birds (that is my parrots) once a week.

May I ask you few questions?

Are cold water shrimps ok? I know they eat them in the wild, but not so sure for pet ducks.
Papaya is full of vitamins and very good for parrots, it is very peppery though, and I have not tried to give them any, is it ok for ducks?
Do ducks play? If so, what would they play with?
Maybe you should try fermenting their feed, mine love it. and feed has been formulated to give them all they need to be healthy, feeding cooked vegetables is good but I'm thinking they are going to be missing some of the important nutrients they need scrambled is good too but still not covering everything. I know people feed feeder fish to their ducks but haven't heard of anyone feeding shrimp. and as for papaya not sure on that one either I know citrus is suppose to be off limits. I guess you could try them with it a small amount and see if they will eat it. Mine love water melon and tomatoes lettuce, cabbage chopped green like collards and kale.
My ducks play in their pools but basically that it. They jump in swim under water jump out run around then jump back in. That's it on playing. lol

Last edited:
<cold water shrimps> I looked on a wild duck web site to see what wild ducks eat and it says they do ear cold water shrimps which are very different from ordinary shrimps.

For my ducks not accepting pellets cause me a big problem, and I am now in search of feed for them (like mummy duck!).

I think, may be I should rephrase my questions and ask the daily proportions of food and vitamins a duck needs, such as overall 500g food daily within 80% protein, 3% calcium, etc....

I asked my and other vets but none are capable in giving me an answer.

My aim is for my ducks to be healthy, happy and safe.... as any mummy ducks would have.....

Thank you.

I need lots of more work on their shed, pond and probably add a well organised and not pro to mess eating area because their dishes are outside and when it rains or it is cold (like now) the food is then cold or damp....
The pond: I have to make it larger, remove the crazy pavements and plant a mixture of wild grass (dandelion and the like)
The shed: I probably will clad it and put some tiles at the bottom for easier cleaning.
But all the above will have to wait for spring to arrive, I absolutely hate cold and totally paralised in winter.
I know I am silly with my birds, I am the same with my parrots inside and outside, always trying to improve their life. My outside aviary has 2 radiators, on the concrete floor I put in very large cotton sheets that are scraped and washed every day, this means that the concrete remains ok so they can stay in their own environment. I do not breed... sorry... let's rephrase this, my birds do lay eggs occasionally, but few weeks later they cannot be bothered so I throw them away, they much prefer playing, eating and preening each others.
Hopefully, Bonnie & Clyde will live well and for a long time enjoying whatever happiness I can give them.

Back
Top Bottom