The unofficial 'official' BYC solar eclipse thread

I'm one of the lucky ones, my front door was less than 5 miles from the edge of totality. Still, I chose to drive that hour the get to the center. Well worth it, 2 and a half minutes wasn't long enough, it seemed to go by so fast. Had clear skies, a field all to myself, no street lights and 20 miles from the nearest town of any size. All along the way I saw people gathered in city parks when all they had to do was drive another 20 minutes!

IMG_2777.JPG

With a little tweaking I got s picture of it. We are in Southern California so I'm surprised my phone made it so dark.

I was in the path of totality. It was uneventful. I didn't even bother to take a peek. I had just got to work about 10 minutes before it was due and hung out inside while everyone else headed out to see it. I got reports that clouds moved in and completely blocked it anyway.

I did think it was kind of creepy seeing it get completely dark during the middle of the day.
It never get's completely dark, I used to think that too. I believe that myth arose because in order to get a good picture of the eclipse itself you have to stop down the camera so much the rest of the sky gets underexposed.

In actuality the sky get's this intense shade of deep sapphire blue, quite unlike sunset because at sunset the light is shining through the atmosphere the long way, so all the blue is filtered out leaving this warm, redish yelly tint. Instead this light still has it's blue component giving everything has this weird cast that best I can describe is 'metallic', or artificial. like the light cast by an arc welder.

Unfortunately, I didn't get much of the total part, my camera ran out of memory just after. I doubt it would have rendered it very well anyway, Even photos taken with top quality cameras can't. I did get part of it at least.

Back
Top Bottom