The Warrior Queen Flock

crystalsc

Songster
Jul 20, 2023
Greenville, SC
You guys, if I had know chicks were this much fun, I’d have gotten them years ago. I’m so in love with my little warrior queens, Boudicca, Celopatra, Tomoe and Lozen.

I’ve ordained Boudicca with her name but I haven’t assigned names to the others yet because I don’t know how to tell who’s who! How do each of you handle this?

These are my new favorite pics. They are 3 weeks old and you can see how nicely their tail feathers are coming in as well as their combs.
IMG_1755.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1756.jpeg
    IMG_1756.jpeg
    743.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1753.jpeg
    IMG_1753.jpeg
    721.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1759.jpeg
    IMG_1759.jpeg
    1,006.6 KB · Views: 4
You guys, if I had know chicks were this much fun, I’d have gotten them years ago. I’m so in love with my little warrior queens, Boudicca, Celopatra, Tomoe and Lozen.

I’ve ordained Boudicca with her name but I haven’t assigned names to the others yet because I don’t know how to tell who’s who! How do each of you handle this?

These are my new favorite pics. They are 3 weeks old and you can see how nicely their tail feathers are coming in as well as their combs.
View attachment 3597190
Great looking chicks!!! To name my chicks, I usually wait until they are a bit older and have different characteristics like comb/wattle size, size overall, traits, different markings, etc.

View attachment 3597190
With those tail feathers, that's a promise of really robust ones when they get older!

Is it? Do you just mean big gals? I hope I didn’t receive 4 cockerels. 😳
So far they look like gals to me. :) Yes as stated by @Desertvalleychickens they will have different combs, beak colors, faces, etc... and you will be able to tell them apart once they get their adult plumage. Cutie pies! 💓

All my ladies are named after real warriors and queens from antiquity. I wanted them to have very strong names. We’ve got
Boudicca. She is the most easily recognizable to me because she has the blackest head and now, since she started laying has by far the largest comb (it even flops!). If I have an alpha, it’s her. She was bold even as a day old chick. Human Boudicca was a Celtic queen who led her tribes to fight the Romans.
IMG_4470.jpeg

Then we’ve got Tomoe. She was my first to lay an egg which was so special to me. She’s gentle spirited and has the 2nd largest comb. Human Tomoe was a female Samurai famous for beheading a man in battle.
IMG_3211.jpeg

Next we have Lozen. She is Boudicca’s favorite pal and is very independent. She is most likely to wander away but she’s good when trying to pick her up. She’s the smallest and not yet squatting so not sure when she’ll start laying. Human Lozen was a Native American female warrior and medicine woman.
IMG_4472.jpeg

And lastly we have Cleopatra (or as we call her, Cleo). She was by far the shyest as a chick. Hated to be picked up and made us work for it. But now, when I sit down, she’s the first to climb on me. She loves the camera too. Human Cleopatra, I’m sure you all know. While she wasn’t a warrior in battle, she certainly was in spirit and mind.
IMG_4478.jpeg

And here’s one of my favorite pictures I got of Cleo recently:
IMG_4154.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom