The Welsummer Thread!!!!

My little 7 week old, Quinn, who I call Quinny, at the water bowl. She's the sweetest and most shy of my ten babies, but super friendly and cuddly, too. I love her
1f60d.png

How did you come by that cute name for "Quinn" ?

big_smile.png
She's named after a character on Glee...it's a guilty pleasure. I loved the name, so I decided to use it for her.

One of my favorite names was for a very acrobatic active little Dominique chick we once had -- we named her "Xena" after the agile warrior princess on TV! As much as we loved some of the names we've had for chickens over the years I never used a name twice for another bird.

One of my favorite names was for a very acrobatic active little Dominique chick we once had -- we named her "Xena" after the agile warrior princess on TV! As much as we loved some of the names we've had for chickens over the years I never used a name twice for another bird.

You know, I was just talking to my mom today about recycling names. I have two BW Am bantams that were supposed to be LF, but the breeder got them mixed up and gave me them instead. I gave them names I loved: Clover & Charlotte, before I realized they were banties. Now I've decided to cull them because they have no place in my breeding program, and I was considering reusing their names for other birds in the future, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to do that. THEY ARE Clover & Charlotte, and it would feel weird to call other birds by those names, even though they're probably two of my favorite names I've come up with...it's a shame, isn't it, when you have really good names picked out and don't get to use them very long? Makes me sad. Like when my favorite, sweet light blue Am pullet, Midge (who I called Widgey) got sick and died. I loved saying her name every day, and now that she's gone I know I'll never be able to use that name again...it'd hurt too much. Sad
sad.png

I know what you mean!! We had a sweet little kitten whom we named Stirling, and we all loved him and his name so much, and then he got hit in the road. We will never be able to say his name again without thinking about that adorable little happy go lucky kitten that thought he could defy everything. :hit

You know, I was just talking to my mom today about recycling names. I have two BW Am bantams that were supposed to be LF, but the breeder got them mixed up and gave me them instead. I gave them names I loved: Clover & Charlotte, before I realized they were banties. Now I've decided to cull them because they have no place in my breeding program, and I was considering reusing their names for other birds in the future, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to do that. THEY ARE Clover & Charlotte, and it would feel weird to call other birds by those names, even though they're probably two of my favorite names I've come up with...it's a shame, isn't it, when you have really good names picked out and don't get to use them very long? Makes me sad. Like when my favorite, sweet light blue Am pullet, Midge (who I called Widgey) got sick and died. I loved saying her name every day, and now that she's gone I know I'll never be able to use that name again...it'd hurt too much. Sad
sad.png

Similar happened to us too. We had some names we gave like "Shellby" for a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana that died as a juvenile, "Trumpet" for a Silkie with a loud voice that turned out to be a cockerel and was re-homed, "Xena" for the Dom chick that died, "Gemma" for the pure Blue Ameraucana that had to be put down at the vet only 3 weeks after we got her, "Ilse" who turned out to be a cockerel and re-named "Ichabod" and had to be re-homed, "Taffy" for the buff colored Blue Wheaten Ameraucana that died this year, and "Phaedra" for the Blue Breda that also died soon after Taffy did. We loved all these names and they weren't around very long. Currently we have a new Cuckoo Breda named "Charlotte" too -- I went crazy naming her after Prince William and Lady Kate's royal baby daughter -- "Her Royal Highness Charlotte Elizabeth Diana, Princess of Cambridge" but we call her "CHAR" for short
wink.png
. She's a unique breed with a triangle tassle, no comb whatsoever, large cavernous nostrils like a crow's, vulture hocks, and long feathered legs/toes that get longer each day. She is still a juvenile and just starting to grow her wattles. We will integrate her outdoors once her face and wattles start to redden.

CHAR

Back
Top Bottom