The Welsummer Thread!!!!

I checked those little pelvic bones and there's no huevos anytime soon. Now I've got big German hands/fingers. Nonetheless I think my daughter could have done this test and had the same result. Checked an EE I had and she's a ways off yet too.
Eventually it will happen, then when you feel you'll go 'Oooohh, yeah, now I get it'!

Eventually it will happen, then when you feel you'll go 'Oooohh, yeah, now I get it'!

I should have thought to grab a little gal that was already laying just for comparison. But those ones are pretty flighty. And I didn't want to disturb the coop too much. LOL. But I'm going to do that just to get the "feel of it". I started to check my high Hen Sylvia. She's almost 5. Lots of Fluff and she had a poopy butt and then thought better of that. Plus she really sqwacked at me.
tongue.png

My sweet little Quinny is 12 weeks old now!!!

This is her with my Speckled Sussex, Libby. You can't see it here, but she's starting to get that beautiful salmon breast! I'm really pleased with how she's turning out!

My sweet little Quinny is 12 weeks old now!!!

This is her with my Speckled Sussex, Libby. You can't see it here, but she's starting to get that beautiful salmon breast! I'm really pleased with how she's turning out!
Quinn! I still love that name! The Speckled Sussex is so beautiful! How is her personality? Is she noisy? We are moving Friday and my husband was outside dismantling the trampoline last night. Our Welsummer (14 week old girl), Hachi, is very nosey and followed him every step of the way, completely freaking him out. He finally gave them some treats as a diversion.

I lost my sweet Stella at Thanksgiving (A buff orpington...she was always small for her age, stopped really eating and didn't respond to antibiotics. I found her the Sat morning after Tgiving. It was so sad. Our other two are fine, thankfully). I am thinking about buying another pullet in the Spring once the weather improves. Love Libby's coloring.

Quinn! I still love that name! The Speckled Sussex is so beautiful! How is her personality? Is she noisy? We are moving Friday and my husband was outside dismantling the trampoline last night. Our Welsummer (14 week old girl), Hachi, is very nosey and followed him every step of the way, completely freaking him out. He finally gave them some treats as a diversion.

I lost my sweet Stella at Thanksgiving (A buff orpington...she was always small for her age, stopped really eating and didn't respond to antibiotics. I found her the Sat morning after Tgiving. It was so sad. Our other two are fine, thankfully). I am thinking about buying another pullet in the Spring once the weather improves. Love Libby's coloring.
So sorry to hear about your loss. It's always hard to loose one, even if you are expecting it.

My SS hen is very quiet, only sounding off when she sings her egg song.

Yes, I LOVE Libby's coloring!!! She has about 10x the amount of white as my other SS. She is VERY sweet and follows me everywhere. I have never heard her or her sister make a sound. They're not at pol yet, so can't attest to that, but I can tell you that Libby is a lot more sociable than her sister. Her sister has always been a little standoffish. They're great birds, though, and beautiful.

ETA: My phone didn't show the quote, so @kadavis08

Last edited:
Please help. My two cockerels have black spots all over their combs and wattles. Yesterday one boy was bleeding from the wattle. As I was cleaning him up, I could tell there were some straight line cuts, similar to paper cuts, and some horse shoe shaved flaps of skin. Some places almost looked to be sluffing off. He shakes his head like he's in pain. These boys love each other, no fighting. Frostbite should be more on the edges of comb...one boy has a spot on back, underside of wattle. A place that makes no sense for injury. Am I dealing with disease of some sort? This has come on in two days.
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Please help. My two cockerels have black spots all over their combs and wattles. Yesterday one boy was bleeding from the wattle. As I was cleaning him up, I could tell there were some straight line cuts, similar to paper cuts, and some horse shoe shaved flaps of skin. Some places almost looked to be sluffing off. He shakes his head like he's in pain. These boys love each other, no fighting. Frostbite should be more on the edges of comb...one boy has a spot on back, underside of wattle. A place that makes no sense for injury. Am I dealing with disease of some sort? This has come on in two days.
[/URL]

Where is your location?
Did they fight, cuts and blood?
Could be frostbite anywhere there was water/fluid(like blood from fighting) on tissue.

Back
Top Bottom