The Welsummer Thread!!!!

i no i'll get a beat down for this but i am going to say it anyways ..i no i have hatchery birds and i no they may not meet the standerds of alot of folks on here .i think my birds are just what i ordered and altho they may not win top prize at the fair they still win top shelf in my heart..they are exactly what i exspected when i bought them ..besides the breeders had to have gotten their birds from somewere and i would bet they all came from a hatchery some were at some time..my great uncle used to buy his birds from sears and robucks or the speagale catalog..he was considered a breeder back in his time ..so to take a breed of birds and work them and cull off the bad ones is common but it all started the same way i bet..from someone ordering birds..

i think its like the forest gump statement that buying eggs or chicks is like a box of chocolets and ya never no what your going to get ...weather it be from hachery or someone who calls them self a breeder..mistakes are made some were along the line..

hey you never no that bird could be the next grand champion at your state fair..just like one of mine could be ..

quality rare breed did not start with hatchery birds - the original Welsummer stock in the US was imported from Europe. If a judge is following the SOP, a hatchery bird is not likely to win because they aren't bred with the SOP in mind. Hatcheries look for different qualities like egg laying capability, faster maturing and hatchability. Local fairs are different than actual shows because many of the judges aren't familiar with the breed standards of less common breeds, so yes you might win a local fair competition. Whether you win or not, you can still enjoy the breed. I started with hatchery birds, but the more I learned about the breed and breeding, the more I realized it would take decades, an in depth breeding program and 1,000 of birds hatched and culled to get anywhere close to the standard. For what I wanted in my birds, going with higher quality stock from a breeder was a much better starting point. Buying eggs and chicks from a breeder should not be like a box of chocolates though. the breeder should know what their selling - if you get a chick that is not pure, the breeder should refund your money.

We got our five Wellies yesterday and there freinds so we have 250 cornish cross lots of barred rocks 7 buff brahmas 9 buff orpingtons 2 araucanas 1 ameracauna and some australorps in all we have 320 chicks and 21 ducks 6 full grown 15 babies.

Coconut the Welsummer does this really cute thing - she puts her foot up on the feeder when she eats, like a puppy! She's 25 days old and lookin' like a real dinosaur. She's also the only one of our ladies to have that super cute tail shake thang goin' on.
0.jpg

Last edited:
quality rare breed did not start with hatchery birds - the original Welsummer stock in the US was imported from Europe. If a judge is following the SOP, a hatchery bird is not likely to win because they aren't bred with the SOP in mind. Hatcheries look for different qualities like egg laying capability, faster maturing and hatchability. Local fairs are different than actual shows because many of the judges aren't familiar with the breed standards of less common breeds, so yes you might win a local fair competition. Whether you win or not, you can still enjoy the breed. I started with hatchery birds, but the more I learned about the breed and breeding, the more I realized it would take decades, an in depth breeding program and 1,000 of birds hatched and culled to get anywhere close to the standard. For what I wanted in my birds, going with higher quality stock from a breeder was a much better starting point. Buying eggs and chicks from a breeder should not be like a box of chocolates though. the breeder should know what their selling - if you get a chick that is not pure, the breeder should refund your money.
so the european goverments sent those out or was it a hatchery in europe that sent them ..its still a hatchery if thats what they did ..they hatched them then sold them to someone here ....i would bet it was a hatchery in europe that they came from ..it doesnt matter i wasnt trying to pick a fight i am just saying every one has their own reasons for getting the birds and altho they may not make it in your flock my birds are just fine with me ..and i dout my granddaughter is going to care if she wins at a local fair and not a bird show as you mentioned ..its a 4-h project for her and i to do together ..a bonding type project if you will..

Last edited:
I got a Welsummer in a barnyard mix (my first one) are they auto sexed by color at hatch? Any help would be appreciated!
Here are some pics, her toes have been fixed since the pic was taken.

Back
Top Bottom