The Welsummer Thread!!!!

You didn't stir anything up.  You did absolutely nothing wrong by asking a valid question.  Thank you for asking and posting pictures so others may learn from this.  The idea of BYC is to create a positive learning environment.  I think that the majority of poultry fanciers are kind and pleasant to deal with.

Very well said. I think sometimes posts come of as being more harsh than intended because its a quick dash of words. A pointed statement or question can be very harsh when read when it would sound better/ nicer if spoken. I try to assume the best and take each statement as positively as possible. Even the nicest people can have a bad day, too.

My hatchery wellie is currently my best layer. If someone just wants layers for a mixed flock going wih a hatchery bird could be their best option ( inexpensive, easy to get, excellent biosecurity, bred for production ), but there is no consistency so it's more of a gamble and the birds will not be show quality.

I really did not mean to start something on here. I am just a newbie at this and at this time only want eggs! I do not plan on breeding, I do know that if I would have went into this for breeding I would not have ordered from a hatchery. I just want to make sure I got what I ordered and paid for. I ordered several breeds so I could have a colorful basket of eggs. I am loving my chicks and look forward to collecting the eggs in the fall. I really appreciated everyones comments and encouragement and I am really sorry if I stirred something up on here.
It's truly ok mimi14. You didn't stir anything up. I'm glad you posted your pic and have questions. We all can learn from such things. I myself try to encourage new members and those new or old to Welsummers to actively participate in this forum. I realize it can me intimidating to post or comment on an open forum like this.

I probably did put too much out there, for that I do apologize to the thread.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe I all ready know the answer to this with my very short time with owning welsummers (few weeks) but I think this is a young cockerel. Just want to double check with the experts. My other chick has the salmon color chest feathers. I was also told these are from "Lowell Barber, Channing Grisham Lines". Around 5-6 weeks old.

I believe I all ready know the answer to this with my very short time with owning welsummers (few weeks) but I think this is a young cockerel. Just want to double check with the experts. My other chick has the salmon color chest feathers. I was also told these are from "Lowell Barber, Channing Grisham Lines". Around 5-6 weeks old.

It looks like a cockerel to me as well.

yup, I agree looks like a roo to me.

I have to agree on the egg laying abilities. Mine always have eggs for me, every day. I agree, I MUCH prefer welsummers to marans, much better temperment. I had two of my own welsummer chicks hatch tonight
big_smile.png
. I will get pictures tomorrow, if I get the chance.

Hello. Just saw this thread, and only read a couple pages (800pgs is a LOT!), but I disagree. I wanted Wellies soooo bad because of the chocolate eggs, but was really disappointed when I got one. She was adult when I got her, but here is a picture of her ONLY egg in 2 months! It is in between a blue copper marans egg & a RIR's egg. My friend got a wellie too about a week or two later & her bird has produced ZIP! Are our birds too old? The person who sold them said they were about 1 year old.

Hello. Just saw this thread, and only read a couple pages (800pgs is a LOT!), but I disagree. I wanted Wellies soooo bad because of the chocolate eggs, but was really disappointed when I got one. She was adult when I got her, but here is a picture of her ONLY egg in 2 months! It is in between a blue copper marans egg & a RIR's egg. My friend got a wellie too about a week or two later & her bird has produced ZIP! Are our birds too old? The person who sold them said they were about 1 year old.

Well most Wesummers are very rarely as dark as the dark one you've posted. I have seen some very dark ones, even dark than those I have. They do go through a laying cycle in which they are dark in the beginning and lighten towards the end. But generally after the cycle end they will often molt and darken up once again. Not sure where your bird or your friend's bird would be in their laying cycle. But it is possible they could darken up a bit. Then again some wellies just never lay that dark egg we all love so much.

These are beginning laying cycle eggs.

Middle laying cycle eggs

These are lighter, towards the end of laying cycle.

Hope this helps.
smile.png

Well most Wesummers are very rarely as dark as the dark one you've posted. I have seen some very dark ones, even dark than those I have. They do go through a laying cycle in which they are dark in the beginning and lighten towards the end. But generally after the cycle end they will often molt and darken up once again. Not sure where your bird or your friend's bird would be in their laying cycle. But it is possible they could darken up a bit. Then again some wellies just never lay that dark egg we all love so much.

These are beginning laying cycle eggs.

Middle laying cycle eggs

These are lighter, towards the end of laying cycle.

Hope this helps.
smile.png

Maybe that egg was at the end of her cycle. It was laid in Feb & I just hatched it!
What I did think was unusual was I got 2 marans eggs in one day & then another the next day. I only have 2 laying marans & usually they each lay every other day. Maybe one of those was a wellie? Is there a way to tell the difference? My blue marans lays huge beautifully speckled eggs while my black marans lays more solid color with scratches in the "paint" (presumably from her digging or maybe when she leaves the nest).

Back
Top Bottom