The Welsummer Thread!!!!

I suspected as much, but sometimes second guess myself and when it comes to pullets vs. cockerels I would much prefer to err on the side of caution.
Thank you!

Looking a little suspect as a cockerel......comb size, little wattles, even the stance....but another week or two should tell you for sure. I have found a fair amount of variation in lines.....mine are very distinct with black feathering appearing on the chests early and significant comb differences.....but I have seen others where the males were a little "under the radar" early on.

I say roo. You can see the little waddle in one of the pics. I had 7 hatch and knew I had 6 of same because of markings and did turn to be true...6 roos and 1 girl. Also noticed that around the 4th week the neck feathers of the pullet had the yellow as the roos kept the redish color along with waddles and the Combs usually are dark pink where females are pale pink to yellow.

Enjoy ur boy.

IMG_20170407_1729289_rewind.jpg

We only have hatchery birds, but I enjoy Welsummers for tons of dark brown eggs, good foraging and they are our best layers. Plus they have clean legs. Excuse my shadow.

A Welsummer thread - how cool! I had no idea this was here, and just happened to run across it. Last summer, we ordered 4 chicks for our broody Australorp - 2 Silver laced Wyandottes and 2 Wellies. Truth be told, one of the Wellies has become my favorite out of all our chickens. From a very young age, I noticed she was very curious and inquisitive. When out in the pen with mama, she would venture to the far reaches, checking out every little thing, while everyone else stayed right with mama (I named her Amelia, after Amelia Earhardt, due to her adventuresome spirit). To this day, she's very independent from the other chickens, but also the friendliest to me. She eats out of my hand, and generally acts like she really likes me. Though she seems to be near the bottom of the pecking order, she is ironically the bravest of them all. When our dog came in their pen with me one day, Amelia watched our dog with immense interest, and when the dog jumped into their dust bath, Amelia had enough, and ran behind our dog and pecked him in the backside! She's just a funny, friendly, curious girl, and I really like her a lot. The other Wellie is named Ginger, but she does nothing special to garner any admiration (don't worry, I like her, too). Sorry so long-winded, just thrilled with my little Amelia girl, and thrilled to find a Welsummer thread!

Back
Top Bottom