The "What Color Is My Chicken?" thread! Calling all color experts!

They don't appear to be pumpkins of any sort like you'd find in gamefowl.
I just finished rereading the BYC thread on Pumpkin Hulsey genetics and I don't see any reason that the colors of the roosters pictured would be inconsistent with the pumpkin colors seen in gamefowl. I'm under the impression that "pumpkin" is not a very well understood color.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/221630/pumpkin-hulsey-color-genetics
Quote:
They might also carry dun; I understand it is common in gamefowl.
I wondered about dun as well. And can dominant white express as mottles?

Aren't Pumpkin Hulseys recognized in a variety of shades? I'm looking at this website: http://www.thefallcreekranch.com/gamefowl/index.html
There seems to be a lot of variation in color and pattern and some of those pictures look just like the roosters' colors pictured by the OP. That website has a fascinating read on the rich history of those birds, but I found it also a bit overwhelming. One entry implied that the white color is actually blue splash and not dominant white. I am wondering if it couldn't be dun splash? In any event can't "pumpkin" be a color besides being a breed?

I honestly don't know what all the "mystery" is about with Pumpkin Hulseys, looks like dun to me.

Dun doesn't breed true, just as their variance shows, and dun does indeed have a homozygous relative color, Khaki, just as blue is with Splash. So of course, you're going to see orange and black, orange and, umm, dun, and then there's the orangey yellow and white. Which is khaki. The rest of the variety is simply things like (at least, in my opinion) the darkbrown gene or columbian gene present or not. I've even seen articles where people claim that their hulseys are true, and others aren't, because theirs don't vary in color. Well, theirs didn't because they didn't have the dun gene - So naturally, all their birds were orange and black.

Just my opinion. I see the dun gene in a lot of games. Brazilians, Spanish, even the occasional Asil and Thai.

Last edited:
I have a pretty little d'uccle hen from the feed store that looks like a gold neck but she is a yellow color. What genes does she have and could she be used to create lemon millies? Or is she just a 'hatchery quality' gold neck? I love her color & want to know if I can make more or even some lemon millies.

Belle:

And her daughter, Snowflake. Her dad was the lavender OEGB in the second picture:

And Snowflake's full brother, Louis XIV.

Thanks!

Last edited:
OMG! SO PRETTY!
love.gif
Please make more, thx!

I have a pretty little d'uccle hen from the feed store that looks like a gold neck but she is a yellow color. What genes does she have and could she be used to create lemon millies? Or is she just a 'hatchery quality' gold neck? I love her color & want to know if I can make more or even some lemon millies.

Belle:

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom