The "What Color Is My Chicken?" thread! Calling all color experts!

Pics
Darkbrown mutation is called that because it turns black chick down brownish. Stupid name really.
Gingers can be created with this gene.
Not all buffs have Db, again no absolutes... ;)

If you see an Autosomal barred Bird (I really prefer to call this color Quill or Pencilled, hence the confusion with Cuckoo), the difference is usually obvious. The biggest difference is that Autosomal is never an overall pattern. The Bars are also much wider usually.
True Barring and True Cuckoo (B and B^sd, respectively) as I understand it appear, like demonstrated, at the same locus as different alleles.

Emily
I would not say the bars on autosomal barring are wider. And penciled and quill are separate patterns from autosomal barring. B^sd is not cuckoo http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/mutations1.html#gen_mut_secpattern shows all of these patterns except quill.

Are you the creator of the chicken genetics calculator in your signature? I love that calculator! I learned most of what I know about chicken genes from playing with it.

Darkbrown mutation is called that because it turns black chick down brownish. Stupid name really.
Gingers can be created with this gene.
Not all buffs have Db, again no absolutes... ;)

I hope its ok for me to post this here, I posted these babies in the Cochin thread, but they're awfully busy there and lots of posts get over looked. So, here goes :D These chicks are from my first ever hatch from my own eggs. I expected blue/black/splash chicks, but also knew I had the potential for some hodgepodge colors as well. This chick in particular has me very curious about what it will look like as an adult:
photobucket-15304-1334335936506.jpg

photobucket-16255-1334335955053.jpg

The second picture shows its very blue fuzz color much better than the first. Its wing feathers are coming in partridge like and they're tipped in blue. Its also frizzled, I'm assuming it came from my blue frizzled rooster and a partridge hen. Is there such a color as blue partridge? Has anyone attempted this color with Cochins before? I think it would be beautiful, but how possible is it and how would I proceed from here to get something worth having? It was the only chick of 12 hatched to come out looking this way. Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer!

I hope its ok for me to post this here, I posted these babies in the Cochin thread, but they're awfully busy there and lots of posts get over looked. So, here goes
big_smile.png
These chicks are from my first ever hatch from my own eggs. I expected blue/black/splash chicks, but also knew I had the potential for some hodgepodge colors as well. This chick in particular has me very curious about what it will look like as an adult:
photobucket-15304-1334335936506.jpg

photobucket-16255-1334335955053.jpg

The second picture shows its very blue fuzz color much better than the first. Its wing feathers are coming in partridge like and they're tipped in blue. Its also frizzled, I'm assuming it came from my blue frizzled rooster and a partridge hen. Is there such a color as blue partridge? Has anyone attempted this color with Cochins before? I think it would be beautiful, but how possible is it and how would I proceed from here to get something worth having? It was the only chick of 12 hatched to come out looking this way. Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer!
I definitely think that fuzzy little guy could be a blue partridge.

Back
Top Bottom