The worst luck with Belgian Quail d'Anvers!

tn_artist

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Wilson, NC
Is anyone well versed in raising d'Anvers? We have ordered 60 this spring. The first 15 all died within a week. Only two other babies of the other 15 ordered died, a bantam cochin and a sebright. We only have 3 left of the second order of 15. Didn't lose any other other 15 ordered. Yesterday we picked up our order of 30 d'Anvers from the post office. 6 were already dead, one died after getting wet in the quail waterer and three more were dead this morning. They shipped out Monday. None should have been dead from lack of food or water, but the 6 that arrived dead were already starting to stink.
We use a quail waterer so they don't drown. We wet the chick feed to a mash so even the extra tiny ones can eat it. We check for poopy butt constantly throughout the day. They are in the house, so no temperature fluctuations. Yesterdays group is under a heat lamp, the other two groups were under a brooder plate.
The first group was from Welp, second and third from Privett.
What are we doing wrong? Are they really that delicate? We have lost more than even our Serama babies in the brooder and with mamas combined. We lose about 20-25% of our Seramas, but we have lost over 50% of our d'Anvers.
In 33 years of having bantams of different breeds, this is by far the most difficult breed for us to raise. We have raised bantam cochins, d'Uccle, Serama, OEGB, Dutch bantams, sebright, cornish, brahma, polish, japanese, silkie, satin and showgirl. The only visable difference is that belgian quail color seem smaller than anything else except Serama. They look like our Serama babies, but with long legs. The other color of d'Anvers babies we have are just as hardy as the other breeds and started out bigger.

Any help, advice, suggestions are welcome. My daughter and I are losing hope. She loves their personality and the quail color, but I don't think either of us can stand any more baby death.

I see this is an older post. I have raised d’Anvers since 1998. The first ones I bought I had shipped through McMurray hatchery and they survived competing with standard sized silver laced Wyandottes and Lakenvelders. They lived long healthy lives and I didn’t lose a single one. Then I started over with them in 2001 with a order from Ideal Hatchery. They were healthy but not to standard. I have modified this original line extensively and now exclusively raise Belgian Bearded bantams. I don’t consider them to be weak or unthrifty at all. I am not sure what happened with your chicks. Seems like you’ve had some bad luck with them.

I have had bad luck if they are put in a brooder with older chicks, especially if the brooder is full ( it doesn’t have to be over full for this to be a problem- what works for same-age chicks can cause issues when you bring in younger ones) and the older ones have even a 12-hour head start are running around well-rested over the top of younger ones/ travel weary ones. Even 12-24 hours can make a big difference here. What happens is the younger ones are tired from hatching ( or traveling) and cannot rest because the slightly older/rested and satiated chicks have more energy and are constantly bumping into or stepping on the younger chicks. This prevents the younger chicks from resting enough and takes away their desire to seek out food and they then die of starve out when the yolk runs out 2-days later. Solution? Isolate them from other chicks until they have rested and are visibly feeding.

It could also be the seller tried shipping slightly older chicks that didn’t have the energy reserves of Day-old. Or it could be the chicks from all shipments experienced bad conditions? Honestly, I’m not sure.

Maybe something I wrote here will help if you try again 2023.

I hope to be selling day old d’Anvers then. This will be my first year selling the chicks via Mail and I’m excited and a little nervous 🙂

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom