The Wyandotte Thread

That's a lot of help....seems they'll have to share the Booda Dome Hahaa, one of my EE'ers started laying this week and the Chicken Shack isn't quite ready for full time residents. So far my CW's wattles are very red...but no comb to be seen so far. I got her in the first week of April. So we will seeeee.....It's So Egg'citing~!~
Looks like we both will be in the coop this weekend. Just as soon as we think we are done, were not...Chicken addicton is a hard one to put a damper on!
It's funny, with different lines, it seems they start to mature and lay at different times... Out partridge started laying a good 3 weeks before the BLR and the SLW.

Funny thing about my girls (maybe about all chickens.) They don't like me to get too near (unless I have mealworms in my hand) most of the time, but when they're dustbathing, it's like they're paralyzed - I was about two inches away from her head when I took this photo!

Ella and Brunhilde, our Columbian Wyandotte

The three Wyandotte sisters - two GLWs, Shayla and Lilac, and Brunhilde, the Columbian.

They are about 17 weeks old - thinking I'll get eggs somewhere around my birthday (Sept 25!) - they'll be just 20 or so weeks old then.
Love the pictures!

Question.... this is my first time with Wyandottes so bare with me. I have 2 roos and 2 pullets growing out and they are all molting, pullets more so than roos. One pullet her feathers have curled up.... they are kinda C shaped. They were not always like that so I don't think she is frizzle... is she? Is that a common thing? I have not seen that in any other chicken breeds I have. It is mostly in her hackles and saddle area even in her cover tail feathers.

This is the pullet... see how the feathers are curled some at her tail. It is doing the same thing in her hackles.

This is a VERY bad pic but you can see the feathers better. She is the pullet in the front. The one in the back her feathers are fine.

I just started with some silver laced hens and golden laced hens and roosters. My question is "Why do some of them have black on the beaks and some don't?" And my silver laced have little black nails. Feet are fine. Reminds me of my dog. Does that mean I got a lower quality bird?

I just started with some silver laced hens and golden laced hens and roosters. My question is "Why do some of them have black on the beaks and some don't?" And my silver laced have little black nails. Feet are fine. Reminds me of my dog. Does that mean I got a lower quality bird?
Not sure on the beaks, but all my Foley birds have dark toe nails.

As long as they have the "horn" color and some yellow it's fine. If the beak is 100% yellow or 100% horn/ brown that isn't as preferable but it doesn't mean you need to get rid of the bird. Every bird has its flaws and beak color is one that generally isn't one. I wouldn't worry about ti to much :).

These are three of my silver laced that are almost five months old. They seem pretty healthy, but very shy. I try to handle them every day and supply treats. They stick together like glue. Notice the black beaks. The other one is a year old. Her beak is not so black. I would eventually like to get a rooster.

My Golden Laced. Black beak but face not black. They are much smaller even though they are the same age. I suspect the lady I got the silver laced from was giving them something to make them grow bigger because she like to show her birds. I was actually able to buy them because she said they weren't big enough. but I like my golden laced more - simply because I had them when they were younger and they let me handle them. And when they free range and it is time to go back into the run, I simply round them up like a shephard and they go easy. Their toe nails aren't as black either, but they are black.

Your GLW might be smaller because of a difference in how they were raised. But I'd say it's just as likely a difference in genetics. Kind of like how hatchery birds can be as small as half the size of the same breed when purchased from a good breeder. The GLW variety needs a lot more work than the SLW variety as there are fewer dedicated breeders working with them. Or at least that is my understanding.

What about the black beak? Is that okay? I would never get rid of them as they are family now. The goldens were named: Tyrone, Sheneequa and Sgt. Sledge. My silvers were named: Miss Penny (she a year old), Lemon, Jordan (her foot tag was 23 lol) and Lu Lu. My husband named Lu Lu, and I have no idea why. I love Wyandottes. The golden won't roost. They sit on their roost outsdie in the run. I assume it is because it is so hot. The silver ladies have to be tucked in every night. I go out after dark, pick them up, and place them on the roost. They don't even try anymore. I think they wait on me.

Back
Top Bottom