The Wyandotte Thread

I am not nearly as expert as many others, but I'll give you a picture to look at, from Stockton 2013, of the Buff Wyandotte that came RB. Look at the underline of his breast and how round and full it is compared to your cockerel, and how he is more round and compact lengthwise than your bird. You want the bird to fit almost in a circle.

One of the limitations of pictures is that birds are pretty flexible and they can stand more lanky or more upright and fit the standard better or worse in each of those moments. I find it helpful to take lots of pictures of a bird - like 20-50 (hooray for digital photography) as they roam the yard and see what I can get - are there moments where the shape is better, worse, etc? What is the best and worst that bird can look? I also find it helpful to learn one attribute at a time: so I'll really think about tail shape or wing carriage or whatever. There are a lot of great threads here at BYC, and I encourage you to browse back through the history of this thread and also the Chicken University thread.

On the Golden Laced hen, that's not an angle that's useful for evaluating her shape, but her golden color is inconsistent across her body. A great place to look to see what the color should look like is the Golden Sebrights. I'd like to see the shade of gold that's over her wing be over her whole body.

Where the hens tend to be weakest is from behind. You should see a nice wide triangle "tent" in her tail from behind. Again, if you browse back, you can probably find some examples of good ones.

Your cockerel becomes a cock (or rooster) when he is one year old, just as your pullets become hens when they are a year old.

Enjoy your birds!

Question: I have a gold laced wyandotte bantam cockerel with great color and type, the problem is his comb; it has good shape and color but has huge dimples in it, almost like it was ashes down in a couple spots. I have him with to good hens, the question is would this dimpled comb pass on to all his offspring or do I have a chance of throwing a good cockerel? I can't cull him, as he is my only glw rooster and it took me a long time just to get him. Thanks

I am not nearly as expert as many others, but I'll give you a picture to look at, from Stockton 2013, of the Buff Wyandotte that came RB. Look at the underline of his breast and how round and full it is compared to your cockerel, and how he is more round and compact lengthwise than your bird. You want the bird to fit almost in a circle.

One of the limitations of pictures is that birds are pretty flexible and they can stand more lanky or more upright and fit the standard better or worse in each of those moments. I find it helpful to take lots of pictures of a bird - like 20-50 (hooray for digital photography) as they roam the yard and see what I can get - are there moments where the shape is better, worse, etc? What is the best and worst that bird can look? I also find it helpful to learn one attribute at a time: so I'll really think about tail shape or wing carriage or whatever. There are a lot of great threads here at BYC, and I encourage you to browse back through the history of this thread and also the Chicken University thread.

On the Golden Laced hen, that's not an angle that's useful for evaluating her shape, but her golden color is inconsistent across her body. A great place to look to see what the color should look like is the Golden Sebrights. I'd like to see the shade of gold that's over her wing be over her whole body.

Where the hens tend to be weakest is from behind. You should see a nice wide triangle "tent" in her tail from behind. Again, if you browse back, you can probably find some examples of good ones.

Your cockerel becomes a cock (or rooster) when he is one year old, just as your pullets become hens when they are a year old.

Enjoy your birds!

Thanks so much! I have been sorting through some of the info on type here and there's a lot of helpful info. It's hard to decipher some of the written critiques so the pictures are great! That Wyandotte looks huge! At what age are they considered fully grown? Will they fill out or round out with age? And/or diet? I kinda though his chest front area wasn't quite as round as it should be... Also, my cockrel's legs are pretty pale...I'm assuming a nice vibrant yellow is more preferred?

Hopefully I'll get some good breeding stock out of the eggs in the incubator from Ruth Caron. Due 3/30! All kinds of 'dottes in there! Partridge, SP, SLW, and BLRW!...Probably shoud've gotten some GLW from her too...maybe next batch!

I know his comb is not great but he's the only bantam glw rooster I could find for the last two years of searching. Again my question is will this comb be passed on to all of his chicks?

Back
Top Bottom