The Wyandotte Thread

I have a comb question. I have a very young cockerel that has a circular bump (indented around it) towards the back of his comb. It's very noticeable but since he is so young, his comb hasn't developed yet to give more information. I know this is probably a DQ but was wondering exactly what it's called and how hard it is to breed out. Normally I would just cull this bird without hesitation, but he was in a shipment of eggs and was the only cockerel of his color to hatch. Even so, probably won't use him. I tried to get a picture but either my camera isn't good enough or the lighting was wrong. Either way, no picture. I can try again tomorrow. But in the meantime, would like to know more about it in terms of breeding this. Thanks.
without this picture..I could not help.i sure hope someone else might know what you mean..If I were to guess it would be an inversion of some kind.

Or it could be a correct comb and be the actual leader you are talking about and it is just immature.

I found a photo that Chris 09 posted (post #10) at www.backyardchickens.com/t/574540/double-comb of a double comb with an inversion. My cockerel doesn't have the double comb but the inversion at the back area of the comb looks pretty much like it. So I am assuming he has an inverted comb leader. I have seen this pop up on very well bred Wyandottes. Is it a simple recessive gene or are there modifier genes at work? And is it extremely difficult to eradicate in future generations? I've never bred it on so I don't have experience in what to expect.
Thank you.

I found a photo that Chris 09 posted (post #10) at www.backyardchickens.com/t/574540/double-comb of a double comb with an inversion. My cockerel doesn't have the double comb but the inversion at the back area of the comb looks pretty much like it. So I am assuming he has an inverted comb leader. I have seen this pop up on very well bred Wyandottes. Is it a simple recessive gene or are there modifier genes at work? And is it extremely difficult to eradicate in future generations? I've never bred it on so I don't have experience in what to expect.
Thank you.
I still need to see a picture

if it is at the very back.it might be the very beginning of your leader.
non of these can be answered on an un-existing picture.

Those are silver penciled.

Oh, thank you. The rooster too? I'm very new to chickens, so I don't know exactly what I'm looking at, but I didn't see penciling on him. (and I remember Delisha's comment about males not having penciling). I'm just wondering if he's called "penciled" too, even if he doesn't technically look penciled.

Back
Top Bottom