The Wyandotte Thread

Hatching Egg question

I have just received my hatching eggs via mail. I've let them sit large end up for 24 hrs. I've heard two different thoughts. One is to just put them in the incubator as normal with the turner on. The other is to put them in and leave the turner off for the first 5 days.
Any input or opinions are welcome.

Hatching Egg question

I have just received my hatching eggs via mail. I've let them sit large end up for 24 hrs. I've heard two different thoughts. One is to just put them in the incubator as normal with the turner on. The other is to put them in and leave the turner off for the first 5 days.

I have 2 different methods, depending on whether or not the air cell is detached. When you candle, you may be able to see the detached, rolling air cell (it should be attached at the top of the egg). In this case, I do not turn for the first 36-49hrs of incubation (in addition to 24hrs rest).

Hatching Egg question

Many different ways..I am no expert on hatching shipping eggs..I have only been doing it for a few years. I am pretty good at it. After many many fails and many many mistakes.
You do need to let them rest..6-8 hours
You do need to candle and use *what you see* as a determining factor on what you do. There is no cookie cutter way.

If they are a bubble factory..you need to be so very gentile. The chasim is undoubtedly broken. The no turning is because they are fragile. I would use a turner if it was a gentile turner after the first 24 hours of incubation. Turning is so important. So many things are developing in the first few hours of a chickens life and the wrong temp with all of the scrambling makes a difference. I put each egg on the turner after I visibly seen the yolk settle. After 48 hours I just put them all on the turner. I do mark the ones that never settle and those sometimes hatch anyway.

Quote: great advise

Hatching Egg question

I haven't used an incubator with an automatic turner.
I've heard that, in the first three days, turning can cause the tiny blood vessels to rupture, so I understand that those who don't turn for the first three days have better hatch rates, but I don't know.

I haven't used an incubator with an automatic turner.
I've heard that, in the first three days, turning can cause the tiny blood vessels to rupture, so I understand that those who don't turn for the first three days have better hatch rates, but I don't know.
I may have to give that a try on some less valuable eggs next year. Can't do it this year, I don't have any roosters yet. I have some chicks coming March 24, straight run so I can get a rooster from this batch. Their just hatchery stock but good for laying eggs.

If I put a chocolate roo with a gold laced hen, what would I get. Please don't quote the ab+, xyz- bit to me as I don't have a clue what you are saying!

Choc is a sex linked trait. A Choc roo will pass the choc gene to ALL his offspring. Anything you hatch that is CHOC will be a pullet (pullets can only have one copy and it expresses with just the one copy) all the others will be roosters and will be split for Choc (they will pass that gene off to 50% of his chicks.... not sex linked though)

The gold lacing is different. I don't really know the genetics of lacing off the top of my head.... maybe someone else will jump in on that. I know that I crossed a SLW hen with a Choc Split roo and got both blacks and SL the first cross gender was not a factor in the lacing as I have both BLACK and Laced in the roos. I don't think I have found any pullets yet.... I KNOW the pullets will not have any SILVER that is sex linked, but they may have the lacing genes.

If I put a chocolate roo with a gold laced hen, what would I get. Please don't quote the ab+, xyz- bit to me as I don't have a clue what you are saying!

You will get sex-links Black Roos and Chocolate hens. No lacing showing in the first cross, but lacing is in the gene pool. Cross these two back and you will get some laced chocolates (lots of hatches required).

Quote:
I will disagree on the lacing. I did a SLW x Choc and I have a Cockerel from that cross that look like a slw but he looks like he is showing more black than my reg SLW.

I don't know the genes behind my Choc but he didn't express any lacing that I could see. Only the hens had lacing.

Back
Top Bottom