The Wyandotte Thread

Great reading everyone! Love to read all the posts :)
We were out of brooder room this week so posted a couple auctions on rarebreedauctions.com if anyone is interested. I am a goof and do not understand how the auction work around deal works on here...

We have chicks coming out our ears and very happy about it. Can't wait to see them grown out!
Offering some of these

And some of these

Along with the chocs some blacks to cross them on

Ya'll have the best day ever!
Beautiful birds, wanting to get some BLRW, I just love them.

Dracoe19: Re: your explanation of RR, Rr, and rr. If I read you correctly... going back to my high school biology days, RR x rr = 100% rose combed birds (Rr). And Rr x rr = 25% rose combed birds (Rr) and Rr x Rr = 25% straight comb, 50% rose comb Rr, and 25% rose comb RR. So, this is what is referred to when someone mentions that it would take a couple of generations to breed out a certain trait, in this case, straight comb. Forgive my rambling. I'm having a little ah-ha moment.

And if you know you have a mix of comb genes, you can always test mate. Rose comb to single comb if you get any single combs your rose comb is Rr if all rose combs likely RR.

Thanks for all the information about the rose comb gene.

Does anyone have detailed information about leader inversion in the rose comb genetics? IE the % chance of passing it down to offspring? from what I understand, the inverted leader itself is a DQ, but since it IS still a rose comb, what is the % chance of passing down a non-inverted leader rose comb? Do all rose combs carry a chance to produce an inversion, or is the inversion showing up due strictly to breeding inverted combs?

Great reading everyone! Love to read all the posts :) We were out of brooder room this week so posted a couple auctions on rarebreedauctions.com if anyone is interested. I am a goof and do not understand how the auction work around deal works on here... We have chicks coming out our ears and very happy about it. Can't wait to see them grown out! Offering some of these And some of these Along with the chocs some blacks to cross them on Ya'll have the best day ever!
I wish I lived where you live. They are beautiful. I'm from the land down under Australia haha

Thanks for all the information about the rose comb gene.

Does anyone have detailed information about leader inversion in the rose comb genetics? IE the % chance of passing it down to offspring? from what I understand, the inverted leader itself is a DQ, but since it IS still a rose comb, what is the % chance of passing down a non-inverted leader rose comb? Do all rose combs carry a chance to produce an inversion, or is the inversion showing up due strictly to breeding inverted combs?
This is what I was told:

Inverted Leaders or sprigs are hard to breed out. You can try breeding it out for years and still have it pop out down the road in all the offspring. It is just not worth the money and time to fix it..it is a cull.

This is just for WHAT IF:

Lets just say you want to breed that girl..you find a beautiful male and you produce 200 chicks..all beautiful..not one DQ..

you invest 1000 in feed cost, shipping cost (you are not going to keep 200 chicks)but you keep 4 pullets. You made 500 on chick sales so you are only 500 in the hole

you bred your girl again.the following year.and her 4 chicks..you now have 1000 chicks and 500 chicks show the DQed combs and your phone is ringing off the hook because all the chicks you sold are producing DQ's..and you knew it and did it any way. (I know you are not but we are just supposing here)
10 of your customers are not going to care they have bad combs and they are going to bred and sell..and tell people who they got the birds from..etc..and it goes on and on..

This is not really for you..but for everyone who wants to just hatch birds and sell them..they don't eat them..they don't know what they will do with all the chicks they hatch out..they don't have room for more than 5 chickens yet they have 10 and a sportsman in the garage...lol .....you get my drift.

This is what I was told:

Inverted Leaders or sprigs are hard to breed out. You can try breeding it out for years and still have it pop out down the road in all the offspring. It is just not worth the money and time to fix it..it is a cull.

This is just for WHAT IF:

Lets just say you want to breed that girl..you find a beautiful male and you produce 200 chicks..all beautiful..not one DQ..

you invest 1000 in feed cost, shipping cost (you are not going to keep 200 chicks)but you keep 4 pullets. You made 500 on chick sales so you are only 500 in the hole

you bred your girl again.the following year.and her 4 chicks..you now have 1000 chicks and 500 chicks show the DQed combs and your phone is ringing off the hook because all the chicks you sold are producing DQ's..and you knew it and did it any way. (I know you are not but we are just supposing here)
10 of your customers are not going to care they have bad combs and they are going to bred and sell..and tell people who they got the birds from..etc..and it goes on and on..

This is not really for you..but for everyone who wants to just hatch birds and sell them..they don't eat them..they don't know what they will do with all the chicks they hatch out..they don't have room for more than 5 chickens yet they have 10 and a sportsman in the garage...lol .....you get my drift.

Thanks for your reply! No, I know she is a cull... I am still going to be hatching more blrw from good stock, so my breeders will be better for next year. I have no issues with cooking the birds I raise, they taste the best! I do try and find homes for them first, but only to a point...

I am just trying to understand the genetic makeup of the inversion itself. EG what about the cockerels I have from the same genetic line as the inverted pullet? Do they carry the same genes for a potential inversion down the road? at what % are we talking? your example uses 50%, can it really be that high?

And as you said... I am struggling with either: selling her as a pet quality pair with a decent cockerel, or cooking her because I know she is a cull, why spread those genes around more. But, it seems like a waste to cook her since she is from a show line, even though she's DQ'd she could still be pet quality for someone else... or even hang out in my egglayer flock. the root of my question is more about the genetics (cockerels) though
smile.png

edit: decided against breeding the brothers of the inverted leader comb pullet

Last edited:
Anyone want to inform me of this hen's quality? I bought her off of craigslist and the owner said she was SQ. Thanks for any input!

Quote: I could not give you percentages..
The people who have been breeding birds for many more years than I have been have a saying about *breed or don't breed on what you see*. It is said so much better than I could possibly say it and I hope you can understand what I mean.
Many genes are hidden, but you select birds on visuals. You definitely do not bred a bird that you know has hidden faults either.
She has a DQ..keep her as an egg layer or make her soup. Someone else will possibly bred her. If you can find someone who lives in town and can only have hens that would be a good choice too. You have options.

Anyone want to inform me of this hen's quality? I bought her off of craigslist and the owner said she was SQ. Thanks for any input!

I think she is delightful.
In this frontal picture the wind makes her look like she has a double breast..

Back
Top Bottom