The Wyandotte Thread

This is what I was told:

Inverted Leaders or sprigs are hard to breed out. You can try breeding it out for years and still have it pop out down the road in all the offspring. It is just not worth the money and time to fix it..it is a cull.

This is just for WHAT IF:

Lets just say you want to breed that girl..you find a beautiful male and you produce 200 chicks..all beautiful..not one DQ..

you invest 1000 in feed cost, shipping cost (you are not going to keep 200 chicks)but you keep 4 pullets. You made 500 on chick sales so you are only 500 in the hole

you bred your girl again.the following year.and her 4 chicks..you now have 1000 chicks and 500 chicks show the  DQed combs and your phone is ringing off the hook because all the chicks you sold are producing DQ's..and you knew it and did it any way. (I know you are not but we are just supposing here)
10 of your customers are not going to care they have bad combs and they are going to bred and sell..and tell people who they got the birds from..etc..and it goes on and on..

This is not really for you..but for everyone who wants to just hatch birds and sell them..they don't eat them..they don't know what they will do with all the chicks they hatch out..they don't have room for more than 5 chickens yet they have 10 and a sportsman in the garage...lol .....you get my drift.

I had a stud with a genetically linked problem. He's an awesome horse and would have made a great stallion, but because I was a responsible breeder (I'm now out of the breeding biz) I gelded him even though other people were telling me breed him anyway.

As breeders of poultry we need to be responsible also and do our best to educate ourselves about genetics just like farmer viola is trying to do. Just because their chickens doesn't mean we shouldn't be responsible.

My two breeding flocks for 2014 :

0.jpg

0.jpg

Breeding flock Blue laced silver Wyandotte bantams consisting of :
- silver laced rooster
- 7 blue laced silver hens
- 1 splash laced silver hen

Back
Top Bottom