The Wyandotte Thread

Since I am not a breeder, here is my layman's understanding of the situation:

Greenfire crossed Chocolate Bantam Orpingtons with Black Wyandottes to get Chocolate Wyandottes that breed true to color. All offsprings of these turn out to be Chocolate Wyandottes.

Wheres some people have the Dun gene Chocolates (resulting from the work of a US geneticist) . A cross between a Dun Chocolate and Dun Chocolate can result in 50% Dun Chocolates, 25% Black and 25% Khaki.

The eggs I have are from the Greenfire line so they should be Chocolate. Not feather sexible or color sexible at birth.

Correct me if I am still wrong.

Not just GFF made that cross. I know Jerry Foley did it too.

thumbsup.gif

Howdy y'all! I'm not new to chickens, by any means, but this is my first round of Wyandottes. ( BY THE WAY! Is it dots or dotes as far as pronunciation? )

My mother in law got me 14 GLW about three weeks ago from a breeder in Alto. No telling the quality just yet. Lost one early on... I think he got smooshed the night the light broke. Lost one last week to cocci. The rest are off of antibiotics and looking great! Are males slower feathering? Three of the twelve I have left have a serious lack of lacing and the feather growth is half that of their sisters.

Overall, I think I see six or so I want to hold back to the breeding pens and get a few more for the gene pools in the next year or so.

Eventually I'm wanting exhibition stock in BLRW and SLW. My goldies are more for my entertainment.

I have the go ahead from my fiance to start showing again at the beginning of next year. Hopefully at least one of the birds in the grow put pens turns put show quality.

However, those are my hamburgs and that's for a separate thread. :p

Oh I don't think you will be able to tell which ones to hold on to for quite awhile. They are crazy slow to mature and the ugly duckling could actually be a gorgeous swan.

Oh I don't think you will be able to tell which ones to hold on to for quite awhile. They are crazy slow to mature and the ugly duckling could actually be a gorgeous swan.

From what I've read they're going to make the orps and aussies look like speed racers. I know it'll be this time next year before I can truly tell.

Is it easier to fix size or type first? Guess it's time I pick back up my sop handbook.

That's what I was thinking. Pretty sure it's the same across the board for all breeds... but Wyandotte's are like a foreign land to me. I'm used to game birds and Aussies. Haha.

Back
Top Bottom