The Wyandotte Thread

I would not worry about the eye color at this age.  It will change when they get older.  Not sure about the beak color though.  I have seen lots of wyandottes with dark beaks.  I would have to look at the standard to know that.

They look like they've got a lot of black for columbian though. Post the standard when you get it.

I don't think either of these are very good examples of columbian 'dottes.

I would not worry about the eye color at this age.  It will change when they get older.  Not sure about the beak color though.  I have seen lots of wyandottes with dark beaks.  I would have to look at the standard to know that.

Thanks for the response. I went to this page, http://www.wyandottebreedersofamerica.net/wyandottestandard.htm, and below is what is there in the sop for that page at least for both sexes. Is there a more complete SOP available?

BEAK: Short, well curved.
EYES: Full round, prominent.

EDIT: Just took a better pic of the eyes. All are the same. They were in shadows this morning. The eyes are red. The beaks are definitely more black than anything else, and from what I've seen of other Columbian pics, these have black in the "white" area and the pics I've seen, the white part is clean white.

Last edited:
I found a surprise olive egg in my nesting box the other day and have been trying to figure out who is laying it, considering I don't have a olive egger old enough to lay yet. So, today I was checking on my broody and in the box was my splash wyandotte, she was laying a egg.... Well.... She is the olive egger!!!! Has anyone seen this before? My mind is seriously blown! b
She obviously had one of her parents with the blue color gene. Since the blue egg gene is dominant, it must be the Rooster that carried the gene otherwise the mom would have been laying blue eggs. So the rooster in the source of your Wyandotte was not pure.

Thats what my limited knowledge of egg color genetics says. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I have a nice trio of SLW I got from J Foley. I just picked up this trio of young Columbian Wyandottes over the weekend. They look pretty nice to me. What do you think? I haven't seen many pics of Columbians for comparison.

they look pretty young to judge yet... most patterns take a while to come in correctly. wait until they're 5-6 months old then post up pics again. 8) I had Columbian bantam cochins and the pattern is a lot alike. they're shipping to a new home tomorrow.

Quote:
I find it hard to believe a mixed rooster would throw a good laced pattern like that, even if the mother was pure. that's like a 0.1% chance... I would say isolate her to be sure before judging... she could have just been checking out the nest but not laid yet, or had already laid elsewhere.

they look pretty young to judge yet... most patterns take a while to come in correctly. wait until they're 5-6 months old then post up pics again. 8) I had Columbian bantam cochins and the pattern is a lot alike. they're shipping to a new home tomorrow.
Very pretty. Lucky new owners. Thanks for the response.

Kathy so sad that you have to let these guys go. Perhaps when you get back on your feet you could get some eggs from your original birds. I'm sure the new owners would oblige .

I find it hard to believe a mixed rooster would throw a good laced pattern like that, even if the mother was pure. that's like a 0.1% chance...  I would say isolate her to be sure before judging... she could have just been checking out the nest but not laid yet, or had already laid elsewhere.
She laid the egg right in from of me. I know for sure it was her!

Back
Top Bottom