The Wyandotte Thread

Help! I am new here. Having trouble getting a gender on my 7 week old chicks. I'm almost certain the black one is a hen. They're the same age.
[/IMG]
w
The feathers on the necks of the black and the EE on the left have round tips...indicates pullet. The EE on the right has pointed feathers...indicates cockerel.

Hello fellow Wyandotte lovers,

This is my first year as chicken farmer, I started out wanting just some dual purpose birds for eggs and a better quality meat and I bought a straight run of SLW's from Meyer Hatchery, I fell absolutely in love with the breed, their look their attitude and personality, they're just tremendous birds.

I've since gotten bitten with the chicken bug, I have American Bresses, Silkies and a few Bantams, eventually I would like to become a quality breeder of heritage and at risk breeds, but first I want to become a Wyandotte breeder, I don't feel the breed gets the credit it's due and I'd love to try my hand with a breed I truly respect.

I have a fair flock of SLW's with one big black laced red rooster and a blue laced rooster. None of them are truly foundation stock though, so my question to you all is, what strains of Wyandotte should I look to pick up so that I can breed a good selection of the Wyandotte spectrum (I want to concentrate on Mille Fleur, Lavender/Lilac, Partridge, GLW and SLW)

What roosters and pullets do I need to begin to produce quality birds for these colors and patterns?

Thanks in advance for any info you can shoot my way, and if you have info on good Wyandotte breeders I could purchase from it would make my google life a lot easier :D

~Mike
Head Rooster
Whispering Wind Farm
Poultry, Waterfowl & Rabbitry.

My red Wyandotte pullet nesting next to another baby and my silver Wyandotte pullet checking to see if my phone is a snack

My red Wyandotte pullet nesting next to another baby and my silver Wyandotte pullet checking to see if my phone is a snack

Chickens are fascinated with mirrors. Your girl probably sees herself in the lens of the camera!
Here's one of my pullets who loved kissing, preening, and running alongside the "other" chicken in the mirror!

This guy liked to talk to the "other" chicken in the oven window!

Hello everyone! I am working on a little project and I need y'all's help. Can you please take a picture of an egg from your chicken after the egg has been cracked open or in half? The project is intended to demonstrate how eggs have a base color and a coating, so please include the inside color and the outside color of your egg. It can be on a plate, in a bowl, on some news paper, in the grass or even in the frying pan when you're getting ready for breakfast. Use your imagination. Thank you for your contributions! Lavender

EDIT: Please remove the inner membrane so the true color of the shell can be seen on the inside.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I am working on a little project and I need y'all's help. Can you please take a picture of an egg from your chicken after the egg has been cracked open or in half? The project is intended to demonstrate how eggs have a base color and a coating, so please include the inside color and the outside color of your egg. It can be on a plate, in a bowl, on some news paper, in the grass or even in the frying pan when you're getting ready for breakfast. Use your imagination. Thank you for your contributions! Lavender

EDIT: Please remove the inner membrane so the true color of the shell can be seen on the inside.

My Wyandotte is too young to lay, but my avatar is from my Olive Eggers. Olive green outside shell with blue interior. (Supposed cross BCM x Ameraucana.)

My wyandottes...one of the glw is half sexlink can you tell which one? Then my blrw roo who ill be breeding my hens to. I also just got two blue wyandotte pullets.

hello,
been raising chickens since this may, since I started reading about chickens I wanted a wyandotte
These are the first I got, the pullet is around 3.5 month and the roo is around 5 month.
I recently got 3 more wyandotte, they turned to be 1 female and 2 males...

would love to read your thoughts regarding the two, as far as colors and lacing

would love to read your thoughts regarding the two, as far as colors and lacing

The splash pullet looks okay as far as lacing and color, still a bit young and may need another molt, but I am not seeing much color in her hackles. The gold-laced cockerel looks fine, color and lacing-wise, but he has a single comb (a simple autosomal recessive trait) instead of the required rose comb, so I would caponize him and look for another. Oh, if he's supposed to be a black phase blue laced red ... you have the gold gene showing through as brassiness or orange-ish color.

Back
Top Bottom