The Wyandotte Thread

Hi everyone,
We have a SLW that we got from a feed store last Friday. She had come from a hatchery the day before. We noticed that her unmbilicus was still attached, so with advice from a member here, we were cleaning it and putting coconut oil on it a few (2-3) times a day. She has good energy, acting and eating/drinking like everyone else. She just looks disheveled. Her umbilicus is shrinking/shriveling, she just looks light in feathers on her butt. the white parts near her vent are not really there, it was a glare in the picture. Does anyone have advice on anything else I should be doing for her, or is it just a matter of time?

Hi again,
Is there an effective way to sex Wyandottes? We have three, are supposed to be pullets.. but are curious if there is a way to know before months have passed:
One of my questions also coming to this thread...
I went to pick up the 5 Brahma chicks I'd ordered and found GL Wyandottes next to the Brahma brooder. I saw one walk out of the feather pile toward me, picked it up and well, we all know what happened. I picked a 2nd one so the first had a same btreed buddy.
There are MORE!!! at the feed store...trying not to get carried away since I don't know a thing about the breed but they are gorgeous. And 2 are mine now.
I didn't get any but there were also Welsummer new arrivals.
I need to do a fair to thorough bunch of research into general traits, size, tendencies, sociality, and what coop they will eventually be most happy in.
For tonight as it will be another cold night in the unannounced winter we're having in mid march, they are tucked in with my broody and her adopted chicks.
They are very attractive chicks! I am very happy about it!

Hi again,
Is there an effective way to sex Wyandottes? We have three, are supposed to be pullets.. but are curious if there is a way to know before months have passed:

There is some information about it on this site but I do not remember where. Here is some of the info
Wyandotte chick

4-6 weeks

Male:
More white on shoulders
Sturdy legs
Medium sized pinkish comb
Wattles starting to hang down in a curve
Stumpy, curved tail
Downy back with a thin line of stub feathers down the center
Poor feathering on side of neck, crop and flanks
Bare wing bows, showing wing covert quills

Female:
Fine legs
Small yellow comb
Wattles practically non-existent
Long pointy tail
More advanced feathering along center of back
Well advanced feathering on side of neck, crop and flanks
Wing bows covered with small feathers

There is some information about it on this site but I do not remember where. Here is some of the info
Wyandotte chick

4-6 weeks

Male:
More white on shoulders
 Sturdy legs
 Medium sized pinkish comb
 Wattles starting to hang down in a curve
 Stumpy, curved tail
 Downy back with a thin line of stub feathers down the center
 Poor feathering on side of neck, crop and flanks
 Bare wing bows, showing wing covert quills

Female:
 Fine legs
 Small yellow comb
 Wattles practically non-existent
 Long pointy tail
 More advanced feathering along center of back
 Well advanced feathering on side of neck, crop and flanks
 Wing bows covered with small feathers

Thank you for this info @Shilo7

Can anyone give me a general idea of what chicks I would get with a BlueLR roo and a BlackLR roo mixed in with gold, silver, blue and black hens? Will it just be 50/50 or will the colors get jumbled. I know the percentage when the different BLR get together but not what will happen if I had a blue and gold/silver. Blue lacing and gold would be really cool but I'm guessing that's not what will happen lol.

Here are Ginger and Rose, the 2 little peeps that brought me to this thread.

Rose acts delicate and dainty.

Ginger and the look on her face...doesn't she look like she's thinking about starting trouble and mischief (even before those words should be in her vocabulary)?
Ginger has that perpetual look, and she also resembles a penguin!

I adore them!

Back
Top Bottom