The Wyandotte Thread

Craig'sHens :

So I would guess the hollow comb is also genetic. Is it also recessive?

if by hollow you mean the dished in? that is just un-even or a low spot.. it is just a comb defect, the inverted comb is the appearance or teh comb being absent..​

Quote:
I would like to get rid of one of them, i have quite a few roosters and they are hard on the hens. By spring i want to be down to 1 male and 2-3 hens. but i never rush the hens, there is always a market for beautiful laying hens and they don't get rough with each other.

I have handled and critiqued those poor males soo much as they've grown trying to evaluate them, to the point where i'm a bit lost.

bird 1 is the most developed, he is very wide and very round. he has a nice full breast as well. I really dislike how low his wings sit, they look too low to me now so i can only imagine they will be far to low as he matures. There isn't much i like about his head... his wattles are a bit long, and wrinkly and if i remember right he doesn't have a point to his comb which is lumpy also.

bird 2 is least mature out of the lot, and has 0 tail so i think that throws off his look totally :S his comb is better then #1 but has a few random bumps so not as nice as #3. He's just not as massive or round as the others, but i wonder if that wont come on more as he ages?

bird #3 is i think the winner so far? has a symmetrical comb (very mild depression at front but not as bad as the shadow makes it look). Nicely proportioned wattles that are perfectly round and rather flat. Body wise he seams proportionate wise on par with #1 but not quite as big... he carries his wings better (to me at least). I think I also like that he almost has a shorter back in relation to his body then #1 does. He looks like he might finish off more round over all then #1, which looks longer with a bit more slope to me.

Am i in the ball park? and thanks for all the help, a fresh eye can give a lot of insight!
Thanks
Sib

Anybody care to critique a couple wyandottes? I know they're still very young (13 weeks), and the pics aren't the best, but any input would be appreciated. I thought I'd taken pics of both my pullets, but after going through the pics, it seems they were all of the same one, so she'll just have to wait.
roll.png

Cockerel
53351_110311172529.jpg

53351_110311172515.jpg

Pullet
53351_110311172333.jpg

53351_110311171300.jpg

Quote:
They are just way....too young...seriously. I dont see any obvious comb faults and their color looks fine...so keep feeding them and post another pic when they are 9 month old.

Quote:
I would like to get rid of one of them, i have quite a few roosters and they are hard on the hens. By spring i want to be down to 1 male and 2-3 hens. but i never rush the hens, there is always a market for beautiful laying hens and they don't get rough with each other.

I have handled and critiqued those poor males soo much as they've grown trying to evaluate them, to the point where i'm a bit lost.

bird 1 is the most developed, he is very wide and very round. he has a nice full breast as well. I really dislike how low his wings sit, they look too low to me now so i can only imagine they will be far to low as he matures. There isn't much i like about his head... his wattles are a bit long, and wrinkly and if i remember right he doesn't have a point to his comb which is lumpy also.

bird 2 is least mature out of the lot, and has 0 tail so i think that throws off his look totally :S his comb is better then #1 but has a few random bumps so not as nice as #3. He's just not as massive or round as the others, but i wonder if that wont come on more as he ages?

bird #3 is i think the winner so far? has a symmetrical comb (very mild depression at front but not as bad as the shadow makes it look). Nicely proportioned wattles that are perfectly round and rather flat. Body wise he seams proportionate wise on par with #1 but not quite as big... he carries his wings better (to me at least). I think I also like that he almost has a shorter back in relation to his body then #1 does. He looks like he might finish off more round over all then #1, which looks longer with a bit more slope to me.

Am i in the ball park? and thanks for all the help, a fresh eye can give a lot of insight!
Thanks
Sib

You really need to give them more time....I am not sure why everyone is in such a hurry to cull for the best bird...well yes I do know, winter is on the way and feed is too expensive, but Wyandottes are slow growers. The reason you are a bit lost is because they are not grown out yet...give them time and you will be able to separate them easily enough.

Quote:
They are just way....too young...seriously. I dont see any obvious comb faults and their color looks fine...so keep feeding them and post another pic when they are 9 month old.

lol.png
I was afraid that would be the case. I know they're considered a slow maturing breed, but I was hoping maybe mine were the special faster maturing kind.
tongue.png
Anyway, thanks for the input.

Quote:
I have to keep biting my tongue about asking for critique too. Personally, I'm not so concerned about feeding my birds... 17 of them only eat about 50 pounds a month since they started free ranging around the yard. I'm just anxious for a few of them to turn out to be the perfect birds. I realize it is not practical so all I can do is try to better understand the breed and wish they were older.

BTW, I updated photos on my webshots today.
smile.png

Is there a birchen color in the wyandotte breed? I done a little searching but only found show standard colors

Kenneth

ETA: Also I have a pair of BLRW together and that leaves me with two splash males on showing a lot of white the showing a lot of black and a RLW hen will I get any blues from mating her the above males would it make a difference which one

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom