BigBlueHen53

❤️ Exodus 20:8-11 ❤️
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Mar 5, 2019
SE Missouri, USA
So we lost our BJG rooster, George, and four BA hens in the last couple of days and weren't sure what the predator was until this afternoon when I spotted what appeared to be a single juvenile coyote preparing to come onto our property. I had suspected coyote, as there was virtually no evidence, just a single small pile of feathers where it appeared George had put up a fight.

I wouldn't mind shooting the varmint, in fact, I heartily wish I could, if he comes back and I see him again. Just a few problems with this. One, the only firearm i own is a single-shot air rifle that shoots pellets. Likely not lethal unless I get real lucky. Two, I don't see as well as i used to! I just don't think I can do it, no matter how good my intentions may be. Joys of aging.

My sweet Gracie is getting old, too. She used to lie out on the front step and keep a sharp eye out for intruders. We haven't lost a chicken to a coyote in about six years.

A neighbor brought me one of her spare roosters, a big reddish barnyard mix I'm calling Rojo. We won't be free ranging for a while, obviously. But I'm not sure what else to do. Ideas, anyone? Thanks.

Oh the joys of getting old!
I understand completely. When I hit a situation I can't do-i call for help. Do you have children/grandkids you could call (especially one that likes to hunt). Either borrow a rifle or ask them to come coyote hunting.
Or a friend, even those older friends have kids/know someone.
Years ago you could find someone that would eradicate your problems. Now, it's hogs and hoghunting. There was actually a bounty on coyotes. Turn in the ears, to the Sheriff, county would pay $5 and state $5. Many times, we would see dead coyote on side of road and stop collect the ears and make $10.
Same with hogs, but you had to turn in whole hog, not just ears.
So, ask around, someone knows someone who can help.

Last edited:
Electric fencing. Keep the flock in their safe coop and run until either this coyote gives up, or is removed. And look for local trappers and hunters who can take care of this guy for you.
We have coyote families here, and with our fencing and probably our dogs, even though the dogs can't get around the chickens, we've never had losses to them. :fl :fl:fl.
Mary

Last edited:
Stop free ranging and make a nice large pen for your birds and entertain them in their pen. I do have electric wires around my coops and pens and since I haven't had any predator issues. I still see them but they steer clear of my coops and pens. Once they've been zapped they don't test the wires again. I don't free range anymore due to a host of predators including coyotes. I tried to trap them but they are pretty much impossible to catch. When you free range that's the risk you take sorry to say. Good luck...

So we lost our BJG rooster, George, and four BA hens in the last couple of days and weren't sure what the predator was until this afternoon when I spotted what appeared to be a single juvenile coyote preparing to come onto our property. I had suspected coyote, as there was virtually no evidence, just a single small pile of feathers where it appeared George had put up a fight.

I wouldn't mind shooting the varmint, in fact, I heartily wish I could, if he comes back and I see him again. Just a few problems with this. One, the only firearm i own is a single-shot air rifle that shoots pellets. Likely not lethal unless I get real lucky. Two, I don't see as well as i used to! I just don't think I can do it, no matter how good my intentions may be. Joys of aging.

My sweet Gracie is getting old, too. She used to lie out on the front step and keep a sharp eye out for intruders. We haven't lost a chicken to a coyote in about six years.

A neighbor brought me one of her spare roosters, a big reddish barnyard mix I'm calling Rojo. We won't be free ranging for a while, obviously. But I'm not sure what else to do. Ideas, anyone? Thanks.
I'm so sorry!
Do you have a grandson, relative, or friend who can come shoot it for you?
They are very easy to call in, and then just one good shot and that's it.
There are also leg hole traps you can use. Someone would probably have to set them though too. Just put a stake in the ground, run the little ring over it, set the trap, cover it up a bit, and drizzle coyote urine around it. Almost every time we try and trap coyotes we catch them. They are just so curious about the urine and have to investigate, especially if it's on their territory.
I’ve heard some say that buying coyote urine and pouring it around the property can help some? Not sure it’s effective but it’s one idea? I’m sorry you lost your chickens!! :-(
That will just bring in coyotes, because as I said they are so curious they'll come right up to it, sniff it, and mark it.
I can't think of much that would ward off a coyote. They're intelligent, and they have a great deal of fight in them.
Stop free ranging and make a nice large pen for your birds and entertain them in their pen. I do have electric wires around my coops and pens and since I haven't had any predator issues. I still see them but they steer clear of my coops and pens. Once they've been zapped they don't test the wires again. I don't free range anymore due to a host of predators including coyotes. I tried to trap them but they are pretty much impossible to catch. When you free range that's the risk you take sorry to say. Good luck...
How were you trying to trap them?

I tried several ways.
DSCF0014 01.jpg
DSCF0006 05.jpg
DSCF0016 01.jpg

I’ve heard some say that buying coyote urine and pouring it around the property can help some? Not sure it’s effective but it’s one idea? I’m sorry you lost your chickens!! :-(
Thank you. Hmmm. Seems like coyote urine would attract coyotes. Does this really work?

Back
Top Bottom