There's something wrong with my duck's legs

Pathetic gay

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2024
A few weeks ago my father impulsivly got 2 ducks and I'm trying to take care of them the best I can. They are a couple weeks old and we think they are girls.

We have them on a dirt of kalmbach all natural chixk feed with nutritional yeast flakes, niacin, and peas as a treat. I let them swim daily for about an hour. About 2 weeks ago I noticed my yellow duck had bowed legs and have been trying to fix them, but diet alone is not helping.

She struggles to walk and often walks on the hind part of legs and scoots around that way. She shakes when she walks and her legs seem crooked and she walks on her own feet, and I can tell she is weak but I don't know how to help her. Her sister (not from the same mother, they are different breeds) is fine though, so I'm not sure what's wrong.

I've tried to reach out to vets around me, but none of them work with ducks. Im trying the best o can but I don't know what to do. Please if you can give me some advice on what I should do to help her.

If you can please give me some advice.

20240419_170744.jpg

This looks like classic Niacin deficiency. What kind of Niacin are you giving? How much, how often? How are you giving it?

Pekins are known for needing more than most ducklings. It takes a while for the Niacin to help. In the meantime, the more supervised swim time, the better to take the strain off of those legs.

This looks like classic Niacin deficiency. What kind of Niacin are you giving? How much, how often? How are you giving it?

Pekins are known for needing more than most ducklings. It takes a while for the Niacin to help. In the meantime, the more supervised swim time, the better to take the strain off of those legs.
I give them 1500 mg (3 capsules worth) of inositol hexanicotinate niacin everyday mixed in with some peas. She's very active in the tub. She absolutely loves going for swims.

since you are giving peas ( or anything else other than their feed) they need grit available, they will take what they need from a side dish. I would use the durVet liquid b complex. not sure how much for duckling though for a grown duck I give one ML per day if they need it.
Nutritional yeast added to the feed should be 1 tablespoon per cup of feed and the other niacin that you said you’re using I don’t know what that is but if it is non-flush kind or time release kind it will not help

What is the nutrients on the chick feed? How much yeast and niacin?
I'm not sure how much yeast, I was told to just kind of sprinkle it on until their food is covered. I do that when I notice their food is low (I always try to keep the bowl full, sorry if that's not good to do). I give them each about 750mg of niacin a day mixed with sweet peas.

Attachments

• 20240419_175504.jpg
    20240419_175504.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 2
since you are giving peas ( or anything else other than their feed) they need grit available, they will take what they need from a side dish. I would use the durVet liquid b complex. not sure how much for duckling though for a grown duck I give one ML per day if they need it.
Nutritional yeast added to the feed should be 1 tablespoon per cup of feed and the other niacin that you said you’re using I don’t know what that is but if it is non-flush kind or time release kind it will not help
They do have grit available. On the bottle it says flush-free.

Back
Top Bottom