They are always boys.

Heatherschicks1

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 18, 2014
I have been hatching for over a year now and have hatched well over 100 birds. But one thing I can't seem to figure out is out of all of my breeds my barred rocks that hatch are ALWAYS BOYS!!! I have not had one hen hatch out of maybe 8-9 hatches. I have had hens of all of my other breed but the barred rocks... Any ideas.. Should I get new barred rock girls?

Last edited:
Wow, that is bad luck. How many have you hatched out? Are these birds that you are raising until maturity or are you trying to sight sex them at hatch? Hens do control the gender in birds and there is the theory that individual hens can throw mostly cockerels or mostly pullets but for all of them out of nine hatches to be cockerels, that's just strange.

I have hatched easily 20-30 barred rocks. I have two barred rock hens that are great layers but in a year of hatching I have not had one girl. I thought I did because I had all of them until they were at least 4 moths old. But found out later nope that was a rooster too.. I have heard of the bullet vs pullet but this just has me stumped. I would end up with 1-8 in each hatch... Always turns out to be boys. I have been very good at sexing my breeds especially after hatching so many I know what to look for and can sexy some breeds at one month. But the barred rocks I have so many people wanting them but always end up with boys.

That's just really odd, especially if you are keeping them all to maturity. Maybe a new hen or two wouldn't be a bad idea, just in case, but just statistically it is so weird that this has happened to you. Hopefully you hatch some pullets soon!

I have hatched easily 20-30 barred rocks. I have two barred rock hens that are great layers but in a year of hatching I have not had one girl. I thought I did because I had all of them until they were at least 4 moths old. But found out later nope that was a rooster too.. I have heard of the bullet vs pullet but this just has me stumped. I would end up with 1-8 in each hatch... Always turns out to be boys. I have been very good at sexing my breeds especially after hatching so many I know what to look for and can sexy some breeds at one month. But the barred rocks I have so many people wanting them but always end up with boys.
Googled this and skimmed titles....not sure what they're selling, but I'm not buying it.

I've hatched bullet shaped eggs and got 50/50 gender.

But gender is determined by hen, so maybe new unrelated hens would tell the tale for you.

Last edited:
I think that that is most likely my best option. Just wish I would have thought of it before I sent my order for this spring already lol

Back
Top Bottom