They Aren’t Egg Pez Dispensers!

I agree it's not a short-term "fix" - if I am supplementing a bird I know I'll be doing it for the duration of the laying season.

I have a hen who is living out her replacement cycle with bad shell quality (on the other end -- heavy calcium deposits), but over the long term I think that the best management is to cull out the ones with the persistent problems.

If only by hatching only the very best eggs.

The inferior eggs are fine scrambled or in baking. :D

:)

I have a hen who is living out her replacement cycle with bad shell quality (on the other end -- heavy calcium deposits), but over the long term I think that the best management is to cull out the ones with the persistent problems.
If I were mainly in this for egg production, that would be the best course of action. Ours is more of a pet flock and I have the luxury of having enough time to micromanage things so the hens are welcome to lay funny eggs or freeload for however long they live.

If I were mainly in this for egg production, that would be the best course of action. Ours is more of a pet flock and I have the luxury of having enough time to micromanage things so the hens are welcome to lay funny eggs or freeload for however long they live.

*nods*

If production were my only goal I'd have nothing but sex-linked layer breeds and wouldn't keep my 2 wonky layers.

But I am culling their genetics from the future of my flock.

I saw the title of this, and was curious. The content was NOT what I anticipated finding. Was expecting a screed about "production" birds, short lifespans, and cramped conditions.

In any event, good post. Pleasantly surprised.

Yes, individual needs and circumstances will determine best individual management practice. Yes, mistakes WILL happen - the larger the flock, the more likely a mistake on any given day.

I chuck them over my shoulder - BOOM on the ground - the flock races for it.

and as @3KillerBs does, I keep the ones I want to eat, and eat the rest. ;)

Back
Top Bottom