THEY HAVE SHIPPED!

Both of my buff orpingtons have nice wing feathers now - the barred rocks do, too, but not quite as filled out. The little Australorp has some, too, but they're not as developed as the others. It is insane how fast they grow!

It was colder here last night and I woke up to the brooder temp at 85 degrees. Lowered the heat lamp and I'm watching them. They're as funny as ever - running around and scratching - chasing each other, etc. We love watching them!

I know what you mean. They are a wonderful form of entertainment and each chicks personality is just amazing to see and then watch progress. Kattington, any wonderful pictures for us yet?

My EE has good wing feathers too! The others definitely have more than yesterday. I put a clump of grass with dirt in the brooder last night, and they really like it. I think I am going to get some sand today and give them a little dust bath area like Leah did. I am so happy about how healthy they seem. I could sit and watch them peck around for hours! Actually, that's what I did yesterday since my 2 year old thought 3:30am was a good time to wake up for the day.
he.gif
I was exhausted, so I had a good excuse to watch chicks all day lol. I haven't taken any new pictures, just the ones I already posted. I need to take some more.

Last edited:
I don't miss the early mornings that come with children. My almost 4 year old is just starting to sleep until like 9 in the mornings. So thankful for that. Sorry to hear you are exhausted though. EEs feather out the fastest I swear. My big girls seemed like they were fully feathered by like 5 weeks. I do love the colors you can get with the EEs though. I'm definitely thinking when its time to update my flock I'm going to go with more of them.

Ours are coming in 5 to 7 days now... taking a trip to the feed store today! And WOW, your chicks are feathering out already? They're only like a week old, maybe less, aren't they?

What kinds are you getting Xiao? And yes you'd be surprised by how fast they feather out. It starts with them getting the wing feathers, then usually the tail and back and then finally they get the chest and head. All in all it takes about 5-8 weeks I think is the norm. My EE girls (which are about 7 weeks now I believe) were fully feathered out about a week before I was ready to move them into the coop. So by about 5 to 6 weeks I would say they were.

2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Barred Rocks, and 2 Easter Eggers. I'm amazed by how fast they must feather out, but it's all the better for me, since I know I'll be curious to see what they look like when they get their "grown-up feathers".

Got a call at 7:40 this morning!!!! My chicks have arrived!!
sorry the pictures are so bad! The only light is the heat lamp. I will take better ones later.
more of the newbies.

The silkie cross that I hatched! (I will get a better pic later)

There's still some in the bator hatching!
I got 4 extra layer assortments and 1 was DOA. Not bad at all!!

I will try to take better pics today and upload them!

Got a call at 7:40 this morning!!!! My chicks have arrived!!
sorry the pictures are so bad! The only light is the heat lamp. I will take better ones later.
more of the newbies.

The silkie cross that I hatched! (I will get a better pic later)

There's still some in the bator hatching!
I got 4 extra layer assortments and 1 was DOA. Not bad at all!!

I will try to take better pics today and upload them!

I love them!! Adorable babies!

Back
Top Bottom