THEY HAVE SHIPPED!

So DH went to the PO, no chicks. Guy did confirm he was getting an express delivery in today, which is my chicks, said they probably wouldn't show up until after they closed but if they came in sooner he would call. Here's to hoping that they show up in the next 25 minutes.

So DH went to the PO, no chicks.  Guy did confirm he was getting an express delivery in today, which is my chicks, said they probably wouldn't show up until after they closed but if they came in sooner he would call.  Here's to hoping that they show up in the next 25 minutes.
So exciting its like a kid waiting for the ice cream truck.

For those that have Chicks enroute today, it has been very hot in alot of the country. You might consider finding out after they fly out of Cleveland from Meyer Hatchery, via Meyer or My pet Chicken which uses Meyer. where will they go? They will be arriving at Air Hubs Via Fed Ex then back to the Postal Service. So they Fly out of Cleveland to sorting centers in Indianapolis and I think Atlanta. Then on to the major city closed to you. From there to a Postal Sort unit and out on trucks. If it means a haul, even a couple of hours to keep transfering to your town. I have learned there is every chance they will be in the back of the semi truck. Mine had to go from Omaha, to North Platte NE, leave Omaha early morning in the back of the semi arrive North Platte at 11 at night, then on to me over night. Mine most likely never made it out of Omaha Alive, they all arrived passed away. It was 95 that day so that mean about 130 in the back of the truck. The following week I got more chicks after mourning, crying and burying my babies. I drove 4 hours to Denver to get them right near the DIA airport, so they never took truck transport like that. I learned that the US post office considers chicks just another piece of mail. All over the country there are kind hearted animal loving drivers that take them in the cab. But many times that does not happen. I have learned by contacting other hatcheries that on my ship day their was tremendous total loss of shipments. Heart breaking. I am working with the consumer affairs with the Post office, she is very upset and trying to change policies. I have also contacted my congressman, and they have asked me to write a formal letter which means they must at least address it. Every Tuesday and Thursday this last month I have watched temps across the country. All the major hatcheries ship Monday and Wednesday, to Tuesday and Thursday is arrival at air hubs and out for delivery. I pray for these babies and know that every week now all summer there can be huge loss. Everyone please consider contacting your post offices, you can have them held at Air hub cities and drive to get them. You can cut their journey short by catching up to them if you find out the deliver time will be longer into that day, or arrival the next morning. You can have them pulled and held at another post office that you feel you can drive to if it is a hot day. You actually can change things. I pray none of you go through what I went through, but if you do...do not just contact the hatchery please for refund or new shipment, Help change the way these precious cargo is handled, they are not just mail! My second group - 20 chicks, are 4 weeks old now and doing great, but the heart ache and pain I felt June 18th should never ever have happened and I want things changed so no chicks and no people waiting for them go through this again!

Newchickey: For my future reference, who do you make those special shipping arrangements with at the Post Office? Do you just call the main number of your PO or a corporate number? Do you make those arrangements prior to shipping or during shipment? I haven't had a problem yet (I've only had two shipments), but I would certainly like to determine if I could shorten the ship time on my next flock.

Lastly, is there a specific reference, policy, or code that you are asking the PO Consumer affairs and your Congressman to address/change?

The wonderful gentleman at the post office called like 3 minutes to 12. The chikies are here!! I was so thankful that they arrived before the post office closed. All seem to be doing okay, a couple look like they just want to sleep.

Leah or Kattington any news on your babies?

The wonderful gentleman at the post office called like 3 minutes to 12. The chikies are here!! I was so thankful that they arrived before the post office closed. All seem to be doing okay, a couple look like they just want to sleep.

Leah or Kattington any news on your babies?
Make sure the sleepy ones drink plenty.

Mine are HERE! ALL ALIVE!!!!!!

One of the barred rocks jumped/flew out of the box when I got them home - these ones are SO different from our last shipment (with 3 dead and one barely hanging on). SO healthy. No heat pack in this shipment - they are happy and healthy. I think our last batch was overheated in the summer weather and didn't make it.

Back
Top Bottom