They won't go outside!

FinsUp

Songster
9 Years
May 10, 2010
lake oswego flats
We kept our newbies (3months old - new to us) in the coop for a few days to get used to it. Well, I guess they are used to it, they won't go outside! Had the door to the run open all day - nothing. Other than placing them outside - any suggestions? We put them outside yesterday early evening (4ish) and they seemed to enjoy themselves til we put them in for the night. Today the door was open all day and nothing! I would rather all that poop get spread outside a bit.
TIA

The same thing happened to us... eventually they'll just go, I got to the point that I was about to take their food away and place it outside instead of letting it hang inside all night but I just threw some food at the door and walkway and they finally decided they'd try it out and have loved it since... now when I open the door they all come running to greet me in the mornings
smile.png

Huh, that's weird
hmm.png
... Mine at the time the sun starts to set all go into the coop and when it's time to shut the door (when its dark) I look in and they'r all huddled with each other on the top roost.

I throw a handful of scratch in the coop to get them to come inside. At first, if in a run, I had to put each chicken back inside every single night for about a week, thereafter, I only had to herd them.
smile.png

My 12 Lil' Girls are crazy kids. The run is finally 90% done, but we have been letting them out everyday when I am in the yard working on the run. At first they were a bit skeptical, they were loured out with the worms that we found while digging post holes. Now it is next to impossible to get them back in the coop. Even tonight, not quite dark, but raining like h*** (well ya' know what I mean) and still 1 Lil' Girl still outside, refusing to go in. I picked her up and she was a sqwakin' "I don't wanna go in, I don't wanna go in, I don't wanna go in". Lil' Girls were very upset as the fence was going up and they were given boundaries...there was lots of complaints with this. But, they are happy, and now are waiting at the pop door in the morning eager to come out and run and chase bugs and graze on the sod I planted in their run. oh, there is also the tweety bird chasing when it lands on the poles above their run too.
cool.png

Quote:
Sounds like my girls. It's so adorable to look in and have them all peering down at the face below. I'll have to get a picture posted.

The other day the wind blew the door to the coop shut and when I went to see if they were ready to go to bed they were all perched on the board patiently waiting for me to come let them go to bed.

Back
Top Bottom