Thin material to cover insulation?

I need a very thin material, otherwise the door won't close which will also look halfway decent. Any ideas?

Thanks
I covered my Styrofoam with the veneer from interior doors I purchased from Habitat for Humanity. Ran them through my table saw to separate them from the frame and Easy Peasy from there. Insulating a coop I know is not necessary unless you have a metal building (my coop is insulated). Regardless I find the insulation goes along way to keep your birds cooler in the summer.

This is my answer to ventilation. It seems to respond to every variety of situation. I will be changing the left hand door to a dutch door to give me even more options in the winter when ventilation is even more vital. My coop is only 4x8 and I keep as many as 24 Golden Comets with no issues (3 levels) They do not use the run during the winter.

Last edited:
1/8 plywood works well. Super cheap and durable enough to stop pecking through.
It's thin enough you can score it with an utility knife or easily use a small hand saw.

Another thing people use is old feed bags. If you have enough feed bags, it wont cost you anything
Ok thank you! I might try it

I have one golden comet as well-so cute!

Last edited:
I covered my Styrofoam with the veneer from interior doors I purchased from Habitat for Humanity. Ran them through my table saw to separate them from the frame and Easy Peasy from there. Insulating a coop I know is not necessary unless you have a metal building (my coop is insulated). Regardless I find the insulation goes along way to keep your birds cooler in the summer.

This is my answer to ventilation. It seems to respond to every variety of situation. I will be changing the left hand door to a dutch door to give me even more options in the winter when ventilation is even more vital. My coop is only 4x8 and I keep as many as 24 Golden Comets with no issues (3 levels) They do not use the run during the winter.

Thanks so much for your help and the pictures! I'll see what I can do

Thank you everyone for your help! I understand now insulation might not have been necessary-I do have adequate ventilaton so it might be pointless but the covered insulation doesnt hurt and the extra wall provides stability to the coop. Thanks again, I'll see what I can do

Last edited:
Why do you have your coop insulated? If you're coop has enough ventilation, then insulation is kind of pointless.
I agree with you 100% it is overkill to say the least and not as important as proper vetilation. One of my out buildings I keep my birds in is only sheathed in with ¼" plywood with no insulation and my birds do just fine in there.

However I know you never kept birds in a metal coop that is where insulating is a major benefit both summer and winter but still takes a back seat to proper ventilation in all seasons.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom