Kris5902

Enabler
5 Years
Oct 12, 2018
I’ve been feeding a 19% broiler pellet with oyster shells on the side to my mixed flock because I want to avoid excessive calcium in my breeding Boys diets and it’s the closest thing I can get to an all flock feed. I Have broilers arriving Sunday as well. My pullets have been laying for about a month now, and I just returned from a five day city trip on Sunday. My husband forgot to provide the oyster shells for the girls while I was gone, and I found a very thin shelled egg yesterday, as well as the remains of one this morning.

Should I mix a bag of 17% layer with the broiler feed going forward, would that keep the calcium at a more average level acceptable for everyone? Or just keep supplying the OS and hope they recover their shell thickness? When I gave them the OS on my return they went crazy for it like it was mealworms, scattered the bowl and my Roo was tidbitting with it like crazy! They are on pasture in tractors and don’t receive many treats, just mealworms and scrambled egg when it was super cold.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!
I went with the broiler because I have a cockerel pen, some older non laying hens, and I want to keep my boys healthy for as long as possible. I now have a pet rooster that like to snuggle (oops!)
25520D27-4E09-4DAD-BD6E-32FD1635146B.jpeg

Attachments

• 097D9849-D92C-4B19-B790-A0F7F8B0DA42.jpeg
    097D9849-D92C-4B19-B790-A0F7F8B0DA42.jpeg
    507.2 KB · Views: 4
Thin shells can be from stress too. Perhaps they missed you? Are you their usual caretaker?

I would just keep the oyster shells available. It should straighten out.

The fat content on the broiler is a bit high. You could try a non medicated grower or an All Flock or flock raiser.

Thin shells can be from stress too. Perhaps they missed you? Are you their usual caretaker?

I would just keep the oyster shells available. It should straighten out.

The fat content on the broiler is a bit high. You could try a non medicated grower or an All Flock or flock raiser.

The four tags are all I have readily available in my area... I really prefer the pellets because there’s a lot less waste, or I would be doing the grower, but it’s only available as crumbles. I’m trying to decide because I’m putting in an order for a full pallet of feed on the 18th... primarily broiler for my meat project but I can mix and match and still get the 10% discount. Husband is going in and picking up some starter for the new arrivals and could grab a few extra bags

The four tags are all I have readily available in my area... I really prefer the pellets because there’s a lot less waste, or I would be doing the grower, but it’s only available as crumbles. I’m trying to decide because I’m putting in an order for a full pallet of feed on the 18th... primarily broiler for my meat project but I can mix and match and still get the 10% discount. Husband is going in and picking up some starter for the new arrivals and could grab a few extra bags
Than keep them on the boiler. Just check occasionally to see if your hens are staying in good condition. I haven't actually fed a broiler, so I'm unsure how it will affect them. I would not feed a layer to roosters. My roosters used to die by age 4 eating a layer. Now they live longer.

Back
Top Bottom