Things you wish you could say

🤬
F9D58B41-0701-4400-8C48-44D18B614AB2.png

@azurbanclucker Check out the night shots from Lake Solitude. It is at the base of Mount Sunapee. You do not need to be a million feet high for incredible night shots! 😉😎

That isn't it. I can get dark skies in a field in Nebraska too, and dirt cheap. But looking out at the horizon and seeing nothing doesn't work for me. I need to live near mountains.

How did you get the energy to get back to your house? That is a lot of upwards movement, fighting gravity and all...
I didn't skip leg day.

Flagstaff AZ is at an elevation of 7000 feet. it is nestled in the foothills of Mt. Humphrey's which is an extinct stratovolcano with a current peak height of ~12000 feet. The top 4000 or so feet were blown off in a cataclysmic lateral eruption that ripped the entire northeastern face of the mountain open (like St Helens) some 200k years ago. All of this sits on top of the Colorado Plateau, which is a massive section of the Western US that has been forced upward by plate tectonics and created the rockies. The basement of the plateau is at about 5500 feet, and then mountains grew on top of that.

Imagine the ground your house is on was on level ground at 5500 feet above your head, and then all the hills, meadows, mountains, forests, etc were all starting at that same level and increasing/decreasing from there.

That's the western US.

Now, fast forward through millions of years of wind, rain, water, freeze/thaw, occasional other landslides, etc... All that land gets worn down and becomes generally lower back toward sea level.

That's the Eastern US. It's older geologically and has had much more time exposed to the elements, so it's lower, flatter, and smoother, so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom