Things You Wish You Would Have Known?

I have a pullet that survived an attack...she was partially scalped and had a punctured eye and a punctured ear drum. Brought her inside, cleaned the wound and applied Vetericyn, and kept her in until things had scabbed over. She wasn't eating for me, so I thought she might do better with the flock. It took a bit, but she's completely healed now...she's not quite "right in the head" compared to the others, but she's a sweetheart. Call her Snowflake, 'cause she's special.

The curled foot could be injury, infection, or nutritional deficiency so it's difficult to tell you what the prognosis is for that. Try adding vitamins to the water if you haven't already, just in case.

I have a roo who was attacked by a falcon last week, luckily he only had a small nic on his head because I heard the ruckus and came running

Of course since I posted about Snowflake, today she had to start showing some neurologic signs. I tucked her into one of the nesting boxes for the night so she doesn't fall off the roost. We'll see how things are in the morning, I guess. :/

We'll see how things are in the morning, I guess.
hmm.png
I hope she's ok.... :(

Chickens are really resilient. If she's still alive then I think she may make it. She may have problems though. We once had a pullet attacked by a dog. Her back was humped over, her neck sunk down. She was sweet and my daughter would let her perch on her shoulder. She finally just slipped away after a month or so. My daughter was devastated but such is the life of a farm girl.

She's got an ear infection!!! Yay! Some gooey crusty stuff started oozing from the ear hole that had been punctured. So, brought her home for a spa night. Going to irrigate the ear to remove the gunk, give her a bath (she doesn't preen), and file her beak down (she doesn't peck so it's a bit long). I'll do a little research to find out what medicines can go into chicken's ears and start her on some aspirin to take down the inflammation that's giving her vertigo.

So glad that it's something fixable!

Back
Top Bottom