Things You Wish You Would Have Known?

Another thing I wished I had known is that Ameraucanas from the hatcheries are just Easter Eggers hidden behind a good name. I spent so much extra money to find out through BYC's that I have a whole group of beautiful EE's.
IMO, EE are far superior in laying skills to Ams.

Because folks send their culls to auction, and the birds have been exposed to all the other animals there. Very easy to bring illness back to your flock.

I wish I had known not to trust people selling chickens without proof that they are good to work with.

My first flock was a bunch of Barred Rock pullets that were supposed to be older then we were told, I know that's not the worst thing. But looking back it was still a pain.

I wish I would have known how much they poop - because it's a LOT!
sickbyc.gif
And if you are in the yard with bare feet or flip flops, you will find it!
I wish I knew that they could have a HUGE backyard consisting of vegetation, soil, their quarters and that they would poo on the back doorstep instead of any of the other 100s of square metres available to them.

We were determined to get chickens and jumped in with both feet. Didn't research it, got what was available at the feed store, let our girls free range in the yard, leave the coop open, named them all, let everyone have their own pet chicken... You name the mistake and we've made it. You take the good with the bad, same as with any other creature that lives with you. But we love to see them happily roaming in the yard. They also come and peck on the back door to be let in to what I call the "original coop" since they all lived in the house - watched tv with the kids and cuddled on the couch (with a roll of paper towels handy
1f61c.png
). We wouldn't trade a minute. They bring lots of joy and entertainment. But to answer your question about what I didn't know before that I wished I did.. I didn't think they would poop all over the deck, a lot, everywhere. Or that we would have to find someone who was willing to chicken and dog sit when we're out of town and pay them extra to mind the girls as collect eggs. Still wouldn't change our minds about chickens. My husband would probably have a different answer about owning a backyard flock that keeps growing, but he was out voted on all things chicken related
1f601.png

We were determined to get chickens and jumped in with both feet. Didn't research it, got what was available at the feed store, let our girls free range in the yard, leave the coop open... You name the mistake and we've made it. You take the good with the bad, same as with any other creature that lives with you. But we love to see them happily roaming in the yard. They also come and peck on the back door to be let in to what I call the "original coop" since they all lived in the house - watched tv with the kids and cuddled on the couch (with a roll of paper towels handy
1f61c.png
). We wouldn't trade a minute. They bring lots of joy. But to answer your question about what I didn't know before that I wished I did.. I didn't think they would poop all over the deck. Or that we would have to find someone who was willing to chicken and dog sit when we're out of town. Still wouldn't change our minds about chickens. My husband would probably have a different answer about owning a backyard flock that keeps growing, but he was out voted on all things chicken related
1f601.png

Lazy Gardener, Words to live by..I always lock up my kids at night. And it might be a little exteme, but I leave on a nightlite for them in case something does come in, that way they arent just suckers sitting in the dark waiting to be killed. I also go and check on them a few times in the night.. The only ones not locked in at night are my 7 Guinea fowl and two obstinent roosters. The way i see it is every predator out there with the exception of hawks, is out shopping for dinner at nigjht. Well not my kids they dont!

We were determined to get chickens and jumped in with both feet. Didn't research it, got what was available at the feed store, let our girls free range in the yard, leave the coop open, named them all, let everyone have their own pet chicken... You name the mistake and we've made it. You take the good with the bad, same as with any other creature that lives with you. But we love to see them happily roaming in the yard. They also come and peck on the back door to be let in to what I call the "original coop" since they all lived in the house - watched tv with the kids and cuddled on the couch (with a roll of paper towels handy
1f61c.png
). We wouldn't trade a minute. They bring lots of joy and entertainment. But to answer your question about what I didn't know before that I wished I did.. I didn't think they would poop all over the deck, a lot, everywhere. Or that we would have to find someone who was willing to chicken and dog sit when we're out of town and pay them extra to mind the girls as collect eggs. Still wouldn't change our minds about chickens. My husband would probably have a different answer about owning a backyard flock that keeps growing, but he was out voted on all things chicken related
1f601.png

Oops I forgot that one.
I wish I had thought about any house sitter and what it meant for chickens - before I had chickens and a vacation planned
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom