Thinking About Getting Ducks, Looking For Advice Please!

@Krazyquilts - Thats a new place, I'll have to check them out! Ok, good to know, I'll talk to my grandma and we will consider getting trio's instead. I was just worried about getting overwhelmed with too many ducks. Everyone I've talked to said they'd rather get chickens because ducks are messy.

Maybe as ducklings, but I don't really think that ducks are that much messier than chickens. Of course I've only had ducks, so I'm probably not the best judge. They do need more water than chickens and I guess they do get water everywhere when they bathe. And they do love to get muddy. Hmmm, maybe they are kinda messy ... :/

But they do great in wet and cold weather and are supposedly hardier than chickens. And they are just so very funny!! And duck eggs are amazing!

@WalkerNom , I'm on the east coast too! I ordered ducks from Metzer's and they arrived safe and sound, snuggled in with a heat pack and an empty tin of Gro-Gel (Green glop that contains nutrients for baby duckies). Peeped like crazy. Sorry for being a little late on my reply, but more reassurance can't hurt!

@Ducks4us - Your ducks are so cute, you're making it hard to wait. Thanks for all the info! I look forward to watching your ducklings grow, so I hope you keep posting pictures.

@TLWR - Thanks for the input!

@Krazyquilts - Haha, yeah, good thing I don't mind messes.

@QuackSpeak - Thank you so much! That really is reassuring! How long did it take for them to get to you?

Around two days. Ducks are hatched on Monday morning, and get to you on Wednesday, with a delivery of x amount of two day old duckies!
Basically, Metzer's hatches the ducks, and they ship the ducks that same day. Then, two days later (Wednesday), you get a call from the Post Office, and you go to pick up your ducks, and everyone's happy.
We were hesitant about ordering through the mail; we were very new to the idea (Wait... There are these huge places where people put ducks in boxes, and ship them across the country?!? And these people make a living off of this?). But I did some research, discovered that there were little options for sexed ducks locally, and that shipping the ducks was a safe and favored way of getting them.
It all worked out! And wow I'm so sorry I probably could've answered your questions with three words...
hide.gif

Anyways. Here's a link, if you still want to hear more.. http://www.metzerfarms.com/ShippingOptions.cfm?affiliate=undef&CustID=14862986

Edited to fix my horrible grammar.

Last edited:
@QuackSpeak - Oh ok thanks :) I didn't find anyone with runners locally either. In fact, I've only seen one person with a duck (looked like a Pekin) and for all I know they could've had it for meat :c Also, don't apologize for long answers, the more info I have, the better!

Last edited:
@QuackSpeak - Oh ok thanks
smile.png
I didn't find anyone with runners locally either. In fact, I've only seen one person with a duck (looked like a Pekin) and for all I know they could've had it for meat :c Also, don't apologize for long answers, the more info I have, the better!

Haha okay! I'm so stressed right now, because Metzer Farms decided that they now have ducklings available before Spring Break! I'm really hoping they let us change our order...

Last edited:

Look what I found while walking around an old junk/antique yard! I'm taking it as a sign I should definitely go forward and get some duckies c:

Look what I found while walking around an old junk/antique yard! I'm taking it as a sign I should definitely go forward and get some duckies c:

Do it! Ducks are great! Thank you for wishing me well. I'd be much happier if this all works out, and I think it will, but as long as I get ducks, I'm happy. Although, 15 days is a better wait than 36...

@QuackSpeak - Oh yeah, it's getting hard to wait.

I talked to my grandma today, she is willing to get 10 to counter the small box fee! She's even willing to breed them in the future...Oh lord. I wasn't sure I wanted to take on that sort of thing yet. I'm gonna try and talk her down to 6 (three for each of us). I think that number is much more manageable.

Back
Top Bottom