Thinking of raising Quail for meat

Quote:
all my coturnix cages are made of 1/2 X 1/2 hardware cloth . i had 1 that had 1" chicken wire. Thank Goodness there was only 1 bird in it that day cuz when i went out to feed i found something(Coon or possum) had pulled it's head out the wire and bitten it off!
changed everything to 1/2 X 1/2 after that

Quote:
someone was saying today on an earlier post that if you feed ground up RABBIT pellets the meat has a much better flavor and that the "cheap" rabbit pellets have enough protein for the birds ...check out the post..
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
all my coturnix cages are made of 1/2 X 1/2 hardware cloth . i had 1 that had 1" chicken wire. Thank Goodness there was only 1 bird in it that day cuz when i went out to feed i found something(Coon or possum) had pulled it's head out the wire and bitten it off!
changed everything to 1/2 X 1/2 after that

Thanks for the tip mhwc56, I'm glad you didnt loose more!

emvickrey, do you mean like chick starter? At what age do you switch to grower/finnisher feed?

Quote:
someone was saying today on an earlier post that if you feed ground up RABBIT pellets the meat has a much better flavor and that the "cheap" rabbit pellets have enough protein for the birds ...check out the post..
thumbsup.gif

ya I seen that too, I wonder what age you feed that at? I'll have to ask

most people recommend 24-28% protein for feeding Coturnix. i currently feed mine southern states game bird starter that has good protein level. i'm thinking about adding the rabbit pellets too for them as it seems like a more natural feed .i don't eat my birds so the taste issue isn't important.

I keep my breeders in 2'Wx2'Lx1"H and you could set that or those on top of your chicken tractor in the barn. But raise it on the sides by using a 2x2 piece of wood or something. Then they have a drop area for a drop pan or use cut feed bags for the poo to drop onto. Easy to clean.

I say get the 1male and all the females. Or get both males and put a divider in a 2x2 cage for selective breeding. Or separate them into 2 cages. You are going to need more cages next year anyway. Unless they have been together all along then just put them in one cage.

I have a 4x4x4 (flat top) that I use for extra grow out and they fly in that. But it does come in handy for extra growing out space.
I would not put them in a 4x4 V top with nailed. Those that bonk will bleed and the others will kill them.

For egg laying and I think bigger birds (my opinion). 28-30% protein. Gamebird/Turkey Startena. They say 24% minimum. They are going to need the higher protein in the winter anyway to help them keep warm.

Start now, it will give you experience before Spring. You will understand your birds and how to raise them for your situation. Also, how you want to hatch for your situation.

For instance, I like to do large hatches of 100 eggs at a time. Grow them out and freeze the meat for later. But my eggs are to big now for the quail trays for the turner. So now I hatch 40 eggs at a time and time my hatches for my bator and my grow out pens. Don't know if I want to do continuous hatching. Don't really want my life completely revolving around raising my food. Although it pretty much is any more anyway.

Good luck and have fun. Just wait until they start singing for you, when you go to feed them.

edited, sorry I was thinking of my tractors, I can set cages on top of mine. They have flat tops. Your's is a vee. won't work. But you can put your cages somewhere else.

Last edited:
If I got them now the only place I would have to put them for the winter is in my coop, I can make them a cage and everything. I'm just worried about someone getting sick if I suddenly introduce them. It could be quite a shock if suddenly the were put together... Even if they were seperated by the cage. How do I introduce them to the chickens and ducks?

Ok, so just so that I get this right and not screw it up, you feed them chick starter and then switch to grower/finnisher (at what age?) for raising them for meat?

Hey, IMO I think coturnix make better sized birds, but Bobs have better flavor from what I've heard. But if the coturnix are cooked right they're great!
Also as far as feed, If you have a local mill like I do, I get 300 lbs. of 24% protein feed at a time for roughly $60 which comes to around $10 every 50 lbs., much cheaper and better option for me from hatch to eat, plus natural grains and what not give an amazing flavor, Plus if you want to use A filler, I've found adding some chicken scratch a week before "freezer camp" helps fatten em' up a bit.

For the cage size, I like to give them some space, so If I use the cage for egg laying, overcrowding doesn't crush my eggs. But Definitely use 1/2" X1/2" wire, and I would pur them up high enough, or cover the legs so poop can drop but preds cant pull they're legs through the wire.
But as a general rule of thumb, Always make sure they have food and give them clean water as often as possible (nasty poo will build up in it quick
tongue.gif
), and never overcrowd and you should be pretty succesful with them.
I've had these since earlier this year, and man these are the easiest and most hardy bird I've cared for!
Ty

Thanks Coturnix2044! I always think I worry too much when getting new birds, but I'm starting to get the hang of it now! When you say you get a 24% protein feed, what kind of feed is it? Whats it called? Is it specially for Quail, or chickens etc.

Back
Top Bottom