Thinking on getting white coturnix quail

Quote:
only time i saw 23lbs of quail was after slaughter day with a hundred corpses laid before me
smile.png

I wonder why my A&Ms never got that big??
sad.png
they stayed pretty small..And they ate like pigs too!
hu.gif
i may have to try some jumbos..
big_smile.png

Quote:
They would live to about 8 weeks around my place.

Lol thats probibly what most of the males im going to have live to too.But seriosly I just want to know how long a female would live to before dieing of old age.

Quote:
They would live to about 8 weeks around my place.

Lol thats probibly what most of the males im going to have live to too.But seriosly I just want to know how long a female would live to before dieing of old age.

Their life expectancy is 3-5 years, but that depends on a lot of variables. Their best age for laying is up to 1 year, I've heard they slow way down after 1 year old. But their meat doesn't get tough like a chicken's, so you could keep the hens until they quit laying and then process them.

thx for info,I have another question tho.How long can males reproduce with females until the eggs start gettin infertile?

Quote:
But did you get the new recently developed jumbo white coturix and did you get em from lake cumberlands game birds?

whats the diff between jumbo white and texas A&M? the A&M birds are supposed to be jumbo sized. Mine are in the 10 oz range.

Yes the A&M were 16oz. Quail only trouble those were sold and people call all chicks A&M. Not all birds will get that large. To keep the size up must weight breeders and only breed from the larger birds, or they will go back to the normal size.

Smart thing only use hen that reach 16 oz. males should be 14 oz, to be breeders. If not they are just english whites.

See people selling A&M and they are breeding from smaller whites, just because birds came from A&M does NOT make them A&M size does.

Back
Top Bottom