Thinking on getting white coturnix quail

Humm, I had no idea that A&M all had to do with size. I guess, I will just call mine, white quail since I don't bother with weighing anything(not yet anyway, someday, maybe I will have time for all that).

Quote:
The english white have been around for over 40 years, the A&M were breed up in size, they are larger and should have white meat.

Just like Jumbo Bobwhite if you are not carefully, you will have normal size bobs.

Sooo are these quail I wanna get like brown jumbo coturnix quail?or which one is better?Mainly at eggs becouse im going to be selling them at my dads stand at farmers market on saturdays
smile.png

The ones I have that are supposed to be A&M's are about half as big as my jumbo birds, but their eggs are just as big. Since their eggs are so big they probably eat as much as the jumbos do, but they are very much smaller. So if you want to have birds that lay decent-sized eggs AND are big enough to bother with eating I'd go with jumbo browns...unless you can find some big A&M, which is highly unlikely.
smile.png

Quote:
That's what I've started doing, just referring to them as whites. I don't say 'english whites' because those are supposed to be pure white, and most of mine are not. So I just have whites (A&M)
wink.png

Hi,

As with you Shelleyd there are normally called whites over he too, not english whites. There are of course the folk on ebay who just like to be different naming them redicious names Like "giant whites", jumbo whites", White pharaoh A&M's" and a few others.

I've bought eggs from these people and to me, they are no different from the white quail I breed, often they are smaller.

Some guy advertised Pure A&M eggs, that the parents were imported from USA as eggs, claimed they weighed up to 16oz. I bought these too and none never even got close to that weight. I contacted the seller who told me that it was my fault that I didn't feed them correctly, he told me that they needed a 24% protein food. They were in fact fed on turkey and Broiler mixed meal, which has a higher protein level?

You can, by selection, breed out the patches on them, but I found they were a lot smaller than the patched ones, so give up on that idea after a while.

Ironsun.

My whites are from their line.

I will agree that they will make some (7 out of 15 for me) that were above 10 oz at week 8, one at a bit over 11oz. The smaller ones of the batch were between 8.25 and 9.75 oz. The ones I hatched were very white, including one who is solid white (the for-mentioned 11 ouncer) and a couple that are only blotchy on a couple of feathers.
They're slower than my jumbos to lay, however (week 10 and nothing yet). They're also super skittish and are fairly brutal to each other, but not overly.

Also! These have not a speck of white meat on them. They taste just like jumbo browns.

Some pictures of them:
img_1152.jpg

img_1923.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the 'any colour quail' breed and one thing that is noticable is that the white birds have much thinner skin than the brown ones and also are much slower to cover their backs with feathers, even at 6 weeks old, they have bald patches on their backs, and the feathers there stay at the 'spike' stage for ages.

I've bought a batch of golden jumbos eggs because I wasn't enjoying the sexing problems, and at 20 days now, they already have a complete covering on the back and no bald patches, and so don't need to be kept quite as warm.

Quote:
They are A&M coturnix
smile.png

http://www.lakecumberlandgamebirds.com/White Coturnix Quail_2.htm

thanks shelly. guess its like pharoah, browns, and wild type coturnix...... all the same ?
smile.png

I've heard of the xld1 or whatever, are those just plain jumbo's as well, or a different strain?

The XLD1 coturnix are simply genetically altered birds, that put off total sexual maturity, for bulk size birds.

They may be jumbo size birds, just don't raise them with regular size birds, because your little roo's, will carve them a new one!

Back
Top Bottom