This is what happens when you are a Retired OB Nurse!

debbie50chicks

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 19, 2014
Tampa Bay Area, Florida
I can't stay away of "eggs", "fertilization" and new babies....so when my neighbor needed to have someone care for her chickens due to illness, I jumped on the band wagon. It only made sense and I didn't realize how much I love taking this on. Now I've made two home made incubators (I have pictures of them) in my house and have fertilized eggs from her chickens and I just received 12 fertilized eggs that I ordered off ebay. I'm having a blast! I am keeping medical records on dates...turning times...temperature...ventilation and humidity. Doesn't feel like I've left my field of OB nursing at all and I'm loving it!
Debbie

It is fun to watch the chickens hatch, and it is much quieter than the labor deliveries that you are used to of course
wink.png

Hatch rates may only be 50% even with good conditions as you probably know. That may be just as well considering half of them could be roosters. Our incubation experience resulted in multiple roosters, and I love having them around. But we also have multiple coops to accommodate them.

Of course many people who are incubation enthusiasts send their roosters to "freezer camp" when they mature.

Thank You! I'm just having a blast with this new hobby! This is going to be fun communicating with all my new feathered friend's friends. Hahahaha!

One horse, three dogs, one donkey, One RIR Rooster, one RIR hen, One goose and 6 Plymouth Rock hens....with two incubators of RIR's and Plymouth Rock eggs hatching. Now I want to branch out into some more exotic breeds...any suggestions? I'm primarily looking for a high egg laying capacity.

Yup! I found a cure for my "Empty Nest Syndrome"...and it's called starting from " scratch"! HA! As of 2 1/2 months ago I've acquired 5 Australorp hens...1 RIR Rooster...2 RIR Aussies(6 weeks old) that I hatched...1 BR pullet (I think) that I hatched...3 3 day old RIR Aussies...6 3 day old EE's...1 6 month old Blue Splash Silkie (just adopted)...and 12 Rhode Island Red eggs in the bator! Question...Is this normal? LOL! Normal or not I'm having a blast!

Back
Top Bottom