This is you chance to give me your opinions!....On....Vacuums!

MustLoveHens

Songster
10 Years
Sep 1, 2010
Albion, Wisconsin
So, here is the deal....I am entering the vacuum purchasing market. Yeah me!
big_smile.png
What I forgot was just how many vacuums there are. yeah...me
barnie.gif
. I am going to need to replace or at least semi retire my current Dyson DC25 Animal. The thing is almost 5 years old, and while it works, it's not quite what it used to be. So while some here might are going "Wow! Only 5 years?! Geesh! That was a waste!" and others of you might be going "Whoo Hoo! 5 years! Good deal!" let me explain. See, 5 years is way more then I ever expected from this vacuum. I have had this vacuum longer then all my other ones combined. This vacuum has stood up to the monumental task of keeping my carpets and bare floors clean. This vacuum has not balked at the mounds of pet hair, fur and dirt that can only come from 8 dogs and 2 cats. Yes you read right! 8...dogs. All who shed and have various hair lengths. Nor has it hiccuped over the cat litter.
So, my little Dyson has done a good job and has never cringed. In the first "retirement" attempt, I got an LG Kompressor-the pet one. I killed that one dead as dead could be in less then 3 weeks. I returned it and dragged the Dyson back out.

On to present day:
I have scoured vacuum reviews and vacuum sites both manufacturer and sales. I have read so many reviews, I now dream in vacuum review! I am torn between a canister and an upright. I like the uprights, but thought that a canister might be a better option for the stairs and under the beds and furniture.
So last night I went to Sears to check out the newer Dysons, The girl in the vacuum cleaner area was at lunch so that was of no help. I did how ever pull a Dyson Animal DC39 canister around and found out that I did not like it. So that was helpful.
Next, I went home and read even more reviews, searched for USA made vacuums and found store #2! A local vacuum and sewing shop. So I went there this morning and test drove the American made Simplicity. Nice vacuum-very loud though.
While there, I test drove the Miele. Lordy that was a nice vacuum. I tried a canister-again not for me and I tried the Twist/Salsa. Holy Moley that was nice! I think I'm in love!

So now that you've read this far and are hopefully not asleep, I need your help! Dyson or Miele? Or something else? I have found the Dyson and Miele both to have rave reviews and having a Dyson, I tend to lean that way.But the Miele was nice and bagged. The Dyson is baggless and I am favoring less as time goes on.

So.....what say you? Anyone have a Miele and pets? A newer Dyson? A Simplicity? Or something else you've have forever?

Thanks for reading this far!!!! I appreciate it!!

As a house cleaner who gets to use lots of vacccums, I love the Dyson canister, hate any up rights.. But since I"m being paid to clean, an up right just doesn't cut it, in places like under beds and stairs as you mentioned.

One of my custmers has a meile I like it very much.

I have an electrolux, canister.. Love, love , love it.. 10 years old, still kicking. I've even used it for the first 5 years house cleaning. (Since then I request everyone has their own vacs. Germ transfer, gross) The only thing I don't like about my electrolux is buying bags, bags are expensive, when calculating cost of vacuums, please calulate cost of bags for 5 years with it... How many times per week do you empty your Dyson? That's how many bags you will need X 52 weeks, X five years
For this reason, I will probley buy a Dyson next.. I will do like you though a do a big search around..

In 1985 I bought a Kirby (new) and it is used daily. It's built like a tank and we have no plans to replace it.

Unbelievable, but too true...

My wife goes through an average of two-three vacuums
a year. Doesn't matter the brand.

I don't know how. I've even watched her vacuum.

She sucked up the cord on one. Cord was on the floor
and she ran over it. Destroyed it.

The one she has now looks like a mack truck ran over it.
I don't know for sure but I think the couch fell on it. What
ever it was, wrecked it. Held together with duct tape. I'm
afraid to ask her what happened.

It plugged up the other day..I had to clean it out. Looked
like she had sucked up pure mud with it and let it dry in
the hose. When questioned, she had "no ideal".

The one before this? Somehow it managed to break completely
into two pieces while she was doing the living room.

Strangest thing I've ever found plugging up the vacuum? A little
potato.

Vacuuming is not really her thing.

Spook...who loves her anyway.

potato.

Sounds like she has a plan for you to take over the duty. I would buy in bulk if I were you.
gig.gif

MustLove have you looked at a Royal? I have had a canister one for 18 years without a hitch. It has survived 2 Golden Retrievers and 3 females with constantly shedding long hair as well as the regular dirt,dust, sand ect...

I really did have to remove the garbage disposal from
the kitchen. It literally ate all of our silverware...buy a new
set, it ate that too.

After a few new sets...enough was enough.

My wife is not exactly...house trained.

Spook

potato.

lau.gif
She sounds like me!!!

I will only buy bagless from now on too. I have a dyson canister...I hate the handle. It hurts my hand after only a little bit but it does a good job on the dog and cat hair so I put up with it. I had an old evo from sears and loved it but the motor finally went out.

Back
Top Bottom