Thought I Bought Easter Eggers . . . ?

Wendy Bee

Songster
May 5, 2021
Central New York
I bought 2-week old chicks at Country Max in mid April. Five ISA Browns and four Easter Eggers, but . . .

The Easter Eggers have yellow legs, really cool crests on their heads, and do not have pea combs, so I was wondering if they might actually be Cream Legbars? They're about 12-ish weeks old now. Anyone able to ID these girls for me :confused:?

I'm totally cool with whatever they are. I really love the crests - they were a fun surprise :D.

Curious to find out what their eggs will look like 🤔.

Thanks in advance!

1656797677018.png

1656797949155.png

1656798030702.png

1656798223157.png

Thanks! (Hoping for green or blue eggs 😉)

So

Looks like my 4 EEs are in the 15% of cream egg color layers. Not positive all 4 girls are laying yet, but they were all from the same batch when I bought them, so we'll see. I'm a little disappointed, but they are pretty, and the girls are really sweet. I was hoping for some more color variety, though. I only have 2 of 21 hens who lay green eggs. Here's the description of EEs from Hoover's linked to above:

QUICK OVERVIEW

• Our Easter Eggers are a combination of the traditional American Easter Eggers, which typically has a pea comb, beard and green legs, along with the European version of Easter Eggers, which are called Grünleger, which typically have yellow legs, a single comb, and commonly a tuft on its head. The Grünleger is a hybrid cross between a commercial type Legbar, and brown egg-laying hens, therefore unlike the American Easter Egger, they will not breed true, with only a portion of the offspring laying colored eggs. Overall, the Easter Eggers typically lay colored eggs, but up to 15% of the time you will have one that lays brown or cream eggs.
The little eggs in the pics are my new EE layers. They are a lovely creamy color!

1659500776195.png
1659500734495.png

So

Looks like my 4 EEs are in the 15% of cream egg color layers. Not positive all 4 girls are laying yet, but they were all from the same batch when I bought them, so we'll see. I'm a little disappointed, but they are pretty, and the girls are really sweet. I was hoping for some more color variety, though. I only have 2 of 21 hens who lay green eggs. Here's the description of EEs from Hoover's linked to above:

QUICK OVERVIEW

• Our Easter Eggers are a combination of the traditional American Easter Eggers, which typically has a pea comb, beard and green legs, along with the European version of Easter Eggers, which are called Grünleger, which typically have yellow legs, a single comb, and commonly a tuft on its head. The Grünleger is a hybrid cross between a commercial type Legbar, and brown egg-laying hens, therefore unlike the American Easter Egger, they will not breed true, with only a portion of the offspring laying colored eggs. Overall, the Easter Eggers typically lay colored eggs, but up to 15% of the time you will have one that lays brown or cream eggs.
The little eggs in the pics are my new EE layers. They are a lovely creamy color!

View attachment 3209818View attachment 3209817
At least they are different from what you have now! Also I just wanted to let you know we got 3 Eggers from TSC (who sources from Hoovers), one laid cream (she has since passed), and the other two lay colored. The cream and mint layers looked identical except one had lighter brown feathers. The one with the legbar floof lays the least and is also a color layer. If all of yours aren’t laying yet, I hope one of them surprises you!

At least they are different from what you have now! Also I just wanted to let you know we got 3 Eggers from TSC (who sources from Hoovers), one laid cream (she has since passed), and the other two lay colored. The cream and mint layers looked identical except one had lighter brown feathers. The one with the legbar floof lays the least and is also a color layer. If all of yours aren’t laying yet, I hope one of them surprises you!
I hope so, too!

Very interesting, thanks! I love the crests, too. The hen with the biggest crest I've dubbed Phyllis. Phyllis Diller 🤣.
I think everyone that is old enough to know who Phillis Diller is names there first crest that I know I did. Lol mine was a crested polish would love to have another one but the one I had always got picked on by my sex links, I guess because she was smaller than them.

Back
Top Bottom