Thought it was a cockerel, but...

DontesChicks

Chirping
Jun 9, 2019
Northwestern PA
At eight weeks, I’m still confused about the gender of these chicks. We thought the brown one (Cornelius) was a cockerel, but haven’t heard any crowing, and it seems like it’s saddle feathers are rounded.
The black one, Chick Norris, still has a small comb, very small wattles, and still mostly chirps. The bottoms of its feet are black, it’s feathers are getting a bluish-turquoise cast, and I’m assuming it’s just a smaller breed of chicken.
It’s probably wishful thinking to have two hens, and I sit and stare at their feathers, lol, like that’s going to convince them to be pullets.
What do you think??
F6C5655A-1364-42C1-8CBE-8BBC7A35B583.jpeg 7E6E475D-0B09-4F62-823F-A451400FC70B.jpeg 6E7CD2CD-E248-4CA0-837D-8CD4059F9E18.jpeg 01445291-E584-42DF-AE46-8DFD5613A2C6.jpeg 5313DFEB-53F0-4647-B571-9269D6EE7818.jpeg 40356E4B-0B2E-4BD7-A652-8EBD6A5BD142.jpeg 085B4D6A-02E3-4D99-B7D8-2188E1C1B011.jpeg 02CAE6D2-4857-443A-8AB3-CF0EBEB3D0E3.jpeg

I’m finding lots more black feathers lately. Could the black chick be starting the juvenile molt? I don’t see bald places anywhere and I’ve not seen Cornelius pecking at it.
Are you basing the cockerel definition because of the comb?
Thanks for your help!

At eight weeks, I’m still confused about the gender of these chicks. We thought the brown one (Cornelius) was a cockerel, but haven’t heard any crowing, and it seems like it’s saddle feathers are rounded.
The black one, Chick Norris, still has a small comb, very small wattles, and still mostly chirps. The bottoms of its feet are black, it’s feathers are getting a bluish-turquoise cast, and I’m assuming it’s just a smaller breed of chicken.
It’s probably wishful thinking to have two hens, and I sit and stare at their feathers, lol, like that’s going to convince them to be pullets.
What do you think??

I'm sorry to ask a question that has nothing to do with your question, but I'm getting excited because the black chicken looks exactly like one of my chickens! What breed is it? I have to know!!!

Sorry. I think Cornelius is a boy. 8 weeks and growing... Um... What's it called again? Sorry, I'm not a chicken master... The thing under their neck thing... Okay whatever.

I'm sorry to ask a question that has nothing to do with your question, but I'm getting excited because the black chicken looks exactly like one of my chickens! What breed is it? I have to know!!!

Sorry. I think Cornelius is a boy. 8 weeks and growing... Um... What's it called again? Sorry, I'm not a chicken master... The thing under their neck thing... Okay whatever.

I’m sorry I can’t help you with the breed. I don’t know; the chicks were my grandsons science project and he brought them home the day they hatched. No idea what the breed is.
My first time with chickens too, so I suggest you post a picture in the ‘what breed’ forum and see what they say. BYC people are very helpful. I have learned that those are wattles.

Looks like a Rir cockerel based on comb and wattles for age. Saddle feathers will emerge around 12-14 weeks and will be pointy. Other appeats to be a female black orp or australorp, or jersey giant. Either one of those breeds will lay nice big eggs for you.

Back
Top Bottom