Thoughts on Pablo joining the gals

gadus

Songster
8 Years
Jul 28, 2015
Maine
I recently added a youngish Americauna rooster to my flock of 19 different breeds of layers, including members of his own breed. He is a beefy, impressive fella with what seems to be an unaggressive demeanor. Thankfully there have been zero issues with him in the less than one week he's been a resident in our coop.

The previous owners "sold" "Pablo" to me when they related the story of him fighting off a fox. I have recently lost three birds to this critter and even have a trap which I've been reluctant to use but probably would if there was any more loss. Pablo was described also as the runt and the junior (of four) rooster.

I have been back and forth about having a rooster for the 10 years or so I've had chickens. There was a RI Red in my childhood who was extremely aggressive, with tremendous spurs and who perhaps influenced my hesitancy. I've wanted to do my own incubating since the beginning so I guess it's time.

In truth, the coop is somewhat crowded but losing birds to a critter is not the preferred way to cull. And I do need some more birds for making stock.

I don't have many questions but I'd love to hear peoples' impression of their own introduction of roosters. For me it has thus far been completely seamless and I worry a great deal less when they are free-ranging in and around the woods. And I like to hear the crowing, though Pablo could use some practice to make his crowing more full-throated and less nasal.

One immediate question was how egg production would be affected, if at all, by the presence of a male. Would there be a bump or dip in production? It seems thus far to be the former but I'm sure that's in my head. Hens have to lay and will find a way. However, I would be interested to know if there's any empirical info which points to any influence on egg production with the intro of a rooster.

Should I go that route (vs. incubation) I would love to hear how broody hens and a clutch of fertile eggs might be managed - will they need their own space separate from the others, etc. etc. - but that is likely a topic for another thread. It is certainly hard to imagine introducing a family of chicks to a fairly crowded space so I'm wondering if I should begin constructing a separate enclosure within the existing run.

Any and all info and impressions are most welcome.

Cheers,
Gadus

For immediate question, I didn't see any production drop when I got my rooster, he was a juvenile. However he was a carrier for a respiratory disease (no symptoms) and three of my hens got sick, one still hasn't fully recovered. I have eight hens.

If you're going to introduce him, I would make sure he knows you're the boss. I offer mine treats, like he's my hen.

I have one rooster at the moment, but have had as many as five at one time in a flock of 50+ layers. One thing I've observed is that my roos love to be the ones to show their girls where the treats are. So when I give treats, I look for him first and toss the first treats in front of him. The girls flock to his call (come look what I have!). In my mind anyway, it helps to cement the fact in his birdbrain that *I* am the provider of treats, *I* am the alpha, and I am *not* one of his hens that must be disciplined, nor am I attempting to mate with his girls.

I've only had two roosters that were aggressive to me. One ("Psycho") went to the stockpot, and the other ("Little Sh!t") was a little Old English game cock bantam that we kept for years for entertainment, laughs, and because he was an awesome lookout with a LOUD, albeit squeaky, voice. I just learned to watch my back (he was a sneaky little sh!t) especially if my lower legs were exposed.

Good luck with your Pablo. Having a rooster definitely adds a higher element of entertainment as you interact with and observe your flock.

We always have roosters, usually three or four at a time, and everyone needs to get along or they leave. I think that they complete the flock, help alert for predators, look beautiful, and hopefully give us fertile eggs.
Broody hens can do a great job raising chicks, it's what we try for every year. Having the hen and her eggs in the coop but separated in her own space is best. After the chicks are a week or two old, they can integrate into the flock. mama will guard them for you.
Roosters will die in predator attacks, as will hens, with or without. Few roosters can actually fight off much of anything, their best effect is that early warning so everyone can find cover.
And we do like the crowing!!!
Mary

Thanks to all who replied. I have noted with amusement, that Pablo likes to "discover" treats and turn the hens onto them. Entertainment factor is excellent.

I don't like bossing anyone around but I have been deliberately walking right next to Pablo, as if he doesn't exist. He seems like a cool dude, very casual. And I love the crowing, a primal, rural sound which now seems essential to the flock.

I heard it second hand but he really did fight off a fox. Not sure if there were extenuating circumstances. In any event, you're right, he's probably not going to win many of those battles without help.

I don't like bossing anyone around but I have been deliberately walking right next to Pablo, as if he doesn't exist.

That's what I was told to do with my boys and I think it really does help establish the idea that I'm not part of the flock.

I am The Giant Who Brings Food. I want them to think of me the way they'd think of a horse or a cow, not like another chicken.

How old is Pablo? Is he still a young immature cockerel or a mature rooster? That can have an effect on integration and behaviors. This is mostly out of curiosity.

One immediate question was how egg production would be affected, if at all, by the presence of a male.
Long term, not at all unless he is creating a lot of tension in the flock. Mature roosters hardly ever create long term tension. Immature cockerels can. You are often changing the pecking order/dominance when you introduce a new bird. That can create some stress even if it is a hen, especially if she is dominant or wants to be. So there may be some short term effect on egg production.

I don't have any evidence but commercial operations do not add roosters to the flock of laying hens to boost production. If there was a significant bump they probably would.

Should I go that route (vs. incubation) I would love to hear how broody hens and a clutch of fertile eggs might be managed - will they need their own space separate from the others, etc. etc. - but that is likely a topic for another thread.
Yeah, another thread is probably better, details can get comprehensive and from my perspective depends on how much room you have and how things are laid out. As with about everything to do with chickens the more room they have the easier everything is. If you do start a new thread put a link in this one so I can find it.

It is certainly hard to imagine introducing a family of chicks to a fairly crowded space
That makes it a lot harder, whether with a broody hen doing the work or you integrating yourself.

Back
Top Bottom