Thread for my new ducklings

Pics
Ducklings can swim like the day after hatching. I think those books are usually referring to deep water. Shallow water in your tub or sink is fine. Mine were swimming in my bathtub the day I got them at 3 days old. Just make sure it's deep enough for them to dive but shallow enough they can stand up.

Last edited:
I totally agree with Ashleymarie. All of my ducks were put into the garage sink (by me) when they were 2-3 days old. I made the water temp about room temperature or just above--70-80 degrees F. It was well deep enough for them to swim, and just a bit deeper than the tips of their extended feet. It was easy to see that swimming was enjoyable to them, right from the start. And the little black Cayuga was a true diver! He would swim underwater for the length of the sink. Very new ducklings swimming and clowning in the water is a true joy of life!
Gil

How did your drakes turn out?I rememebr you were having problems with fighting.
Good memory TheTwoRoos! Everyone is fine. You were right that it was a pecking order issue. After about two weeks the younger male won the top drake spot. He is a much kinder leader and so there is usually peace.
Your hen is very pretty, by the way!

PearlThe Duck, your ducklings are beautiful! I miss having ducklings so I am going to have to live vicariously (dh only agreed to three ducks and I have five and like my marriage). So, keep the pictures coming!
smile.png
It will be interesting to see if the Peking ends up a drake and the khakis hens.

Last edited:
Good memory TheTwoRoos! Everyone is fine. You were right that it was a pecking order issue. After about two weeks the younger male won the top drake spot. He is a much kinder leader and so there is usually peace.
Your hen is very pretty, by the way!

PearlThe Duck, your ducklings are beautiful! I miss having ducklings so I am going to have to live vicariously (dh only agreed to three ducks and I have five and like my marriage). So, keep the pictures coming!
smile.png
It will be interesting to see if the Peking ends up a drake and the khakis hens.

I spelled picture wrong in the ovation lol...
hide.gif
Picture not picure

Wow 100 already you all are as hardy a folk as those living in frigid temps.

How is your lil Pekin doing today? do you give them vits in their drinking water? I know some don't but I have always given Poultry Nutri Drench in their drinking water daily for the first week then every other day for 2 weeks then taper off to 1X a week. Just my way of helping them get as good a start as possible.

I gave my children multi vits daily too :rolleyes:

Pekin is doing great, they are all very active today, playing in their water and running around.

I have never given Nutri Drench to any of the birds I've had, but I will definitely consider it.

New pictures of the babies!
There are a ton more pics on my Instagram page, pearltheduckandfriends

They're getting soo big!

Last edited:
Possible names for unnamed khaki baby

Chicken noodle (CAMPBELL soup
1f62c.png
Had to....)
Brownie (let's say basic altogether now...)
Bean
Dunkin' (like Dunkin' Donuts coffee)
Muddy buddy
Mud puddle
Mud Pie
Fondue (because it looks like they're dipped in chocolate)
Coca Cola
Baby Ruth
Snickers
Reese's or Reesa
Piggy (ducks can be gross...)
Moana (if it's a girl that loves water, and what duck doesn't!!!)
India
Ghiradelli
Chip
Chestnut
Espresso
Mocha
Mr. Bill (sounds like a cool drake name... yeah...)

Back
Top Bottom