Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

Congrats, RG!!!
big_smile.png

i will go out tomorrow when i am doing the finishing touches
smile.png
the goose house is a temporary home till i get my goat shed build then my ducks and geese will live with them and the coop will turn back into the egg layers house but now that i don't have any egg layers old enough to live outside i am doing some modifications on it to shelter the geese for 2-3 monthsish. that coop is about 4x8 with a 4ft over hang so i put plastic on the sides to make it semi sheltered, also it is almost 3ft off the ground so they may be able to go under, then in the back i took a old salvaged door and put it sideways so i can open it and clean it from the back
duc.gif
i will take some more detailed pics lol

then the brooder shed is a very basic 8ish X 8ish shed that we split in half (put cardboard for the furnace, but may make in another brooder room next year) then i insulated, and plasticed all the walls in the brooder half, then put up plyboard over that that come up about 4ft, plasticed the ceiling to stop drafts and hung chains from the ceiling to hang heat lamps from
That sounds like a good set up! In the future I'd like to have a Goose House for each set of geese I have. It's so much easier to to clean them. Instead of having to crawl inside a dog cage, and clean it out by hand (ick), I can just get a hoe and scrape it all out in a pile, and either put it in the goose pens for them to dig through during the day, or put it in the compost. Simply

I got 100% Fertility !!!
woot.gif

These 4 Sebbie eggs made a $$ but Wonderful Scrambled Eggs with Chorizo, wrapped in a Greek Pita with Sour Cream n Salsa!
droolin.gif

Congratulations! Gorgeous yolks btw..what are you feeding your Sebs?

~ Aspen

I feed an organic human consumption feed. I pay 21 cents a pound so I get 1,000 pounds for $210
woot.gif
I can feed it to my ducks, geese, gamebirds, pigs, rabbits, You name it ~ even my cats & dogs love it!

I feed an organic human consumption feed. I pay 21 cents a pound so I get 1,000 pounds for $210
woot.gif
I can feed it to my ducks, geese, gamebirds, pigs, rabbits, You name it ~ even my cats & dogs love it!
What is an orgainc human consumption feed exactly, and where do you get it? I'm only paying $78 for 350 lbs of oats, wheat, layer crumble, and sunflower seeds now.

That sounds like a good set up! In the future I'd like to have a Goose House for each set of geese I have. It's so much easier to to clean them. Instead of having to crawl inside a dog cage, and clean it out by hand (ick), I can just get a hoe and scrape it all out in a pile, and either put it in the goose pens for them to dig through during the day, or put it in the compost. Simply

~ Aspen

I do that too, I scrape it out the back door with a big garden rake and leave it in a pile for them to scratch and pick through, I usually add a handful of sunflower seeds in the spring and summer when I scrape it out to encourage scratching and if they find a sprouted one later they are even more excited to pick through the pile, I also add the bunny bedding and littler box contents when we change their bed, then in late fallish I try to turn and add some to the compost :)

What is an orgainc human consumption feed exactly, and where do you get it?  I'm only paying $78 for 350 lbs of oats, wheat, layer crumble, and sunflower seeds now.

Very interested as well the cheapest thing here is layer feed (organic) $25-50lb and scratch $18.90 (not organic) 50lb

You guys are getting sweet prices on feed! It costs about the same to feed my flock as it does to feed my 5 horses, and their combined monthly feed cost is equal to a small mortgage payment.
barnie.gif

I have two decisions that I am having a challenging time with.
1. I have a solo African egg growing well on day 12, but my next set of eggs are only on day 5. I can't decide if I should toss the egg to avoid hatching a solo gosling.
2. I have 3 pairs in a group yard. 2 pairs are grey dewlaps and 1 pair is production Toulouse/graylag. I can't decide if I want to separate them to have the option of collecting hatching eggs, or if it is too much of a pain in the butt since I am already focused on my african breeding group and my main dewlap yard with my 2 buff pairs and 2 buff/grey pairs.

What would you guys do??

Here are the my production Toulouse/graylag pair and two grey dewlap pairs:

You guys are getting sweet prices on feed! It costs about the same to feed my flock as it does to feed my 5 horses, and their combined monthly feed cost is equal to a small mortgage payment.
barnie.gif

1. I have a solo African egg growing well on day 12, but my next set of eggs are only on day 5. I can't decide if I should toss the egg to avoid hatching a solo gosling.
2. I have 3 pairs in a group yard. 2 pairs are grey dewlaps and 1 pair is production Toulouse/graylag. I can't decide if I want to separate them to have the option of collecting hatching eggs, or if it is too much of a pain in the butt since I am already focused on my african breeding group and my main dewlap yard with my 2 buff pairs and 2 buff/grey pairs.

What would you guys do??

They are beautiful J
love.gif

barnie.gif

What would you guys do??

Beautiful pictures Iian!

I'd leave the solo egg that is growing, I've had solo ducklings/chicks/quail, etc before and I just spoiled them rotten and gave them a stuffed animal/mirror to snuggle with and they did fine until I had some new hatchlings to put with them.

~ Aspen

Back
Top Bottom