Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

HEY PEEPS!

Just caught up! Lotta hatching going on here !
wee.gif

Sorry for those lost
hugs.gif

I just hatched almost 40 goslings in the past couple days
th.gif

I just HATCHED another EMU!!!! Just now
woot.gif

I lost my last one ~ it just never pipped
hit.gif

Been crazy busy here
he.gif

Anyways
frow.gif
Egg-ryone

First time hatch advice please!
Ducklings started hatching about 6-8 hours ago, so far just their bills are out & cheeping. Apart from the pain staking watching & waiting what else should I do? I read horror stories about membranes drying out etc. aargh!
Also one is pecking out the wrong end of the egg, will he make it? Any advice, pointers, tips very welcome.
Thank you !
It takes forever. Just keep an eye on the wrong-way duckie. They can't move as well if they're in the narrow end. If you need to assist, go very slow and stop if you see blood. Lots of people here who can talk you through an assisted hatch.
So yesterday was hatch day and still not even an internal pip, I candled all 3 (4never made it passed internally pipping and died) are still moving. How long after hatch day is the longest anyone has had eggs hatch? (These are duck eggs by the way)
and is there anyway to tell if you have to much humidity? 3 of the 4 that died were shrink wrapped so I upped my humidity almost 3 days ago (they pipped internally early) but now I'm paranoid that I could get the humidity to high and they will drown. Aaarrgh!!!!!
he.gif
Duck hatching can be very nerve-wrecking. I've been having the most awful time getting my little hatcher to hold humidity. It was fine last year. Sheesh. I've got six soaked sponges in there now.
We ended up with 9 out of the 12 eggs that went into lockdown.. not bad for the first ducky hatch :)
hugs.gif

HEY PEEPS!

Just caught up! Lotta hatching going on here !
wee.gif

Sorry for those lost
hugs.gif

th.gif

woot.gif

hit.gif

Been crazy busy here
he.gif

Anyways
frow.gif
Egg-ryone
40 goslings AND an emu!
th.gif

You're going to be busy, aren't you?

Did you tell me that your hubs is building a turner rack for someone or am I spazzing off and not remembering right? I need to figure out how to build another turner rack insert for the cabinet since I mistook the hatcher tray for another turner rack.
hmm.png

I'm just hoping my egg trays arrive before I get backed up on eggs again. My big hatch is next weeked, so I'll have a little breathing room for about five seconds.

HEY PEEPS! Just caught up! Lotta hatching going on here !
wee.gif
Sorry for those lost
hugs.gif
th.gif
woot.gif
hit.gif
Been crazy busy here
he.gif
Anyways
frow.gif
Egg-ryone
Hi RG! I wondered where you went. Sounds like you've been busy. How's your emu that hatched a couple (?) weeks ago?

Tha
Hi Evelle! Long time! :frow

We're just a bunch of hatch addicts getting our fix...
t it has been this place has changed a bit since I've been on.
So I told quackers this bit ill tell you too maybe you'll he a kick out of it too.
So Ive been trying to hatch eggs out but all I have is a broody turkey, well chicken eggs are a little thinner then turkeys eggs and turkeys are little heavier then chickens so through trial and error making the right nesting box I have 11 eggs under my chirp the turkey. LMAO!

HEY PEEPS! Just caught up! Lotta hatching going on here !
wee.gif
found this though you'd like it :) Sorry for those lost
hugs.gif
th.gif
woot.gif
hit.gif
Been crazy busy here
he.gif
Anyways
frow.gif
Egg-ryone
40 freaken goslings????
. Found this thought you get a kick out of it LMAO!!!

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I am just a beginner... I started my incubator Hovabator Genesis 1588 with automatic egg turner. I had a problem with humidity but now it is better now I have a different problem my egg turner DOES NOT TURN.
he.gif
Any ideas why? Did anyone had a problem like that?

I have 12 duck eggs it there first I placed them on the last two rows and it haven't moved today at all. Now I placed them just randomly throughout the turner.

Well, not to be bragging or anything, but I was involved in the hatching of at least several hundred chickens and ducklings by the time I turned 20, and I've got just one thing to say to you folks. You worry too much. I'd have lost my mind if I'd gotten this worried about it. Most all of those were by banty or mallards setting (discounting the quail we raised for the wildlife service) and they just did the job, no worries. But they'll certainly fuss with an egg that's not doing well, and the ducks especially will sit for at least three or four days AFTER the first one COMPLETELY hatches. So have patience and don't y'all worry so much, they'll get there. My old pet mallard who would let me raise her and look at the eggs (most of em' go nuts on you if you try that) loved to build her nest on a little bluff about 15 feet high. So the first ones to hatch were always tumbling down the hill, and I'd have to go fetch them back. Several times through this I had noticed that she'd have ducklings big enough to wander around and stick their heads out and take an interest, while other eggs would just be pipping. Some of these kids just take longer than others, and it doesn't matter who is doing the incubating. One thing about bantys hatching, watch out for them and goose eggs. They get upset at a baby half as big as they are, and they'll peck the poor little things if you aren't on the spot.

Back
Top Bottom