Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

first swim!
So cute! I love watching the first swim. Question: I thought this egg had died and was opening to see if this one was too wet, too. It actually hadn't died yet. It hadn't even internally pipped yet. So, what now? Should I just leave it and see what happens? I've been occasionally wetting the membrane so it doesn't shrink wrap.

This is the egg.

first swim!
love.gif

Does anyone have opinions on the hovabator genesis 2012 that has temp/humidity panel or the digital reptibator?
I have one. Love it to pieces. Use it constantly this time of year. Very easy to operate. I was so spoiled that I had a heck of a time learning how to adjust a wafer thermostat unit.
So cute! I love watching the first swim.

Question: I thought this egg had died and was opening to see if this one was too wet, too. It actually hadn't died yet. It hadn't even internally pipped yet. So, what now? Should I just leave it and see what happens? I've been occasionally wetting the membrane so it doesn't shrink wrap.
Uh-oh. I've done that. They were overdue and I thought I was doing an eggtopsy. Leave it alone and see what it does. I had already punctured the membrane when mine moved (
th.gif
) so I was pretty much out of luck. The bill was tucked so it could have never pipped anyway, but it was still very unfun.

ok so i have a super stupid question to ask, i set my eggs on the 1st (3/1) at 8pm do i count the 1st as day 1, making today day 24, and do i lock down on day 24 or 25, like i said stupid, having a horrible week and my brain is not working

Last edited:
love.gif

I have one. Love it to pieces. Use it constantly this time of year. Very easy to operate. I was so spoiled that I had a heck of a time learning how to adjust a wafer thermostat unit.
So you have the 2012 genesis. how well does it do with humidity, do you use a second thermometer/hygrometer? Also do you think your hatch rate has improved with it?

I cant tell if you already have but put a wet paper towel under the egg and that will really help to keep the membrane from drying out.
Have you read Sally sunshines assisted hatching? It has everything you need to know on there. I will try to post the link.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

That's a great info thread. I've assisted before, but never without an internal pip. I wasn't meaning to assist at all; I thought I had a dead in shell. Guess I'll wait and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom