Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

Thanks psue and car car, they are due a candle tonight anywho so I'll have a peek then again on sat eve. They were kicking around like anything when I looked he other day so fingers crossed they are strong ducks!

And Metzer farms suggests 86F for humidity, not a percentage.
There are different ways to measure humidity. When I think of humidity, I think in terms of relative humidity (RH), which is noted as a percent. I think the number Metzer's is referring to is the wetbulb humidity, which is different. How are you measuring your humidity? If you have a hygrometer measuring the RH, you do not need 86% humidity. That's too high for incubating; for hatching it would be OK.

Am I the only one who loves the way ducks smell?? lol
Um...hmmm. I love the way horses smell, but ducks - no.
smile.png

frow.gif
Hi everyone. Hope all is well. I've been busy chatting over on the goose hatching thread, but since I hatched my first ducklings of 2013 yesterday from my own anconas that I hatched last year with the support of this thread, I thought I'd post pics of my new hatchlings.
big_smile.png

Litlle cuties! Looks like you got all light colors, too!

I've been trying to read through this thread from the start, up to pg 150, hoping to read it all before my hatch day and say hey but just have an emergency. HELP! The light on my bator went off and temp dropped to 25 eggs are cold to touch. I'm on day 20. Not sure how long it had been off. I had them on a warm hot water bottle with my hands over them trying to warm them while bator got back up to heat. It had now so back in but eggs are still cool. Helllppp.what can I do? Is it too late? SM? Miss Lydia? Duck girl? Quackerjack? Anyoneeeee!? I can't loose these babies one of my cats just died
sad.png
You'll just have to wait and see what happens. You might lose some, but I bet some will make it.

what? you hatched a baby Emu and you don't have pics of it?!
x2!
I have a hatch of Ameracaunnas and Dutch babies coming to hatch starting Friday. Nothing piped yet. Excited weighting . First hatch of Ameracaunnas they are from a Blue wheaten rooster and a Blue hen and a wheaten hen.

What colors might get from this cross?
I'd ask this question on the Ameracauna thread in the chicken section.

April is Pet First Aid Awareness Month

Top 10 Toxins and Poisons for Dogs

1. Chocolates
  2. Insect bait stations
  3. Rodenticides (mouse and rat poison)
  4. Fertilizers
  5. Xylitol-containing products such as sugar-free gums, toothpaste and candies
  6. Ibuprofen
  7. Acetaminophen
  8. Silica gel packs
  9. Amphetamines, such as ADD/ADHD drugs
  10. Household cleaners

frow.gif

frow.gif
Hi everyone. Hope all is well. I've been busy chatting over on the goose hatching thread, but since I hatched my first ducklings of 2013 yesterday from my own anconas that I hatched last year with the support of this thread, I thought I'd post pics of my new hatchlings.
big_smile.png

love.gif

I hatched another baby EMU !
woot.gif

The lone EMU is hanging with my goslings I just hathced !
2 Poms, 2 pilgrims, 2 sebbies, and 3 African Dewlaps (from UTAH ! Thx girl)

love.gif
love.gif

what? you hatched a baby Emu and you don't have pics of it?!
Just candled and all are looking ok for the moment, phew!
smile.png
thumbsup.gif

hey guys sorry for going mia a lot lately super busy getting ready for the appraisers to come (one step closer to owning our home
bun.gif
)

warning pic heavy
big_smile.png

the big girls love their new roosts

paid the kids 25 cents for each bucket of dirt clods they picked up, chicks and ducklings are very happy!

size difference between one of the meaties i got from a friend on sunday (probably almost 2 weeks old) and one of the new ones that came today (hatched monday)

little ones eating (2ish week old pullets, new meaties, and the 2 older fatties)

6ish week old pullet, 2ish week old pullet, and the new meaties (love the results of the fermented feed so far)

just had bath time

my hopefully trio (hatched 8 and bought 3, then sold 8 lol) i am keeping
love.gif
Cap (captain america), Lilac, and Daisy

having a swim

Just had my first egg hatch of the duck n geese eggs I set3/16 in the still air hovabator! Been hovering over the two bators. I mostly set my silky duck eggs,and a few hookbill, my runners weren't laying yet, a . Few silky that made it in first batch.none of the white females were fertile with the first drake., so she got a new one. They drakes are last years hatch and some probably aren't ready yet;) I am now sure my hookbills seem to go 26 days. This year has been a lot more stable.,no power out yet.! I have 13 more hoping to hatch in the next couple days and 2 goose eggs.

Last edited:
I've been trying to read through this thread from the start, up to pg 150, hoping to read it all before my hatch day and say hey but just have an emergency. HELP! The light on my bator went off and temp dropped to 25 eggs are cold to touch. I'm on day 20. Not sure how long it had been off. I had them on a warm hot water bottle with my hands over them trying to warm them while bator got back up to heat. It had now so back in but eggs are still cool. Helllppp.what can I do? Is it too late? SM? Miss Lydia? Duck girl? Quackerjack? Anyoneeeee!? I can't loose these babies one of my cats just died
sad.png
I had something like this happen to me just yesterday. I got the electrical issue fixed, now it's just watch and wait. Remember, broodies do get up to eat, drink and poop.
fl.gif

Thanks! It is a brown African gosling, who is my first gosling of 2013 (and my next gosling due to hatch tonight). Your new ducklings are adorable too!! It looks like you have a couple anconas mixed in your group. The anconas I just hatched look different because they are lightly marked colored babies that should be lavender and blue as adults. They look just like their daddy when he hatched last year. At the time, I thought I had been sold pekin or some other white duck egg... but he developed the lavender markings as he grew up.

FYI, I have lost power a couple of times during critical times in incubation. Some of the earlier set eggs will quit on me, but the ones that are close to hatching do fine, although the temp drop slows the hatching timeline down. Best of luck that everyone has successful hatches this season!
I thought so. Buying assorted eggs makes me crazy, but I had duckling fever. Crossing fingers that my electrical problem I had yesterday didn't harm the bator full of goose eggs.

The cabinet is a test hatch anyway, but I'd really hate to lose them on principle because I won't know if it was the bator or the stupid GFCI.
Congrats and good luck! Little giant still air bators can be tricky to hatch waterfowl. I recommend studying the waterfowl hatching and incubation guide, found as a sticky at the top of forum threads. I would lay them down and roll 180 degrees, but also moving them around every few days as the heat and humidity are not evenly distributed in incubator. Also, beware of changes in room conditions as that will affect stability of temps.
x2! I try to move egg positions around the incubators even if it's forced air. Luckily, with staggered hatches, I can rotate the eggs to different spots pretty well, just moving the next ones to hatch to the front.
I forgot!!! to add pictures!

and
Welcome, new babies!
I hatched another baby EMU !
woot.gif

The lone EMU is hanging with my goslings I just hathced !
2 Poms, 2 pilgrims, 2 sebbies, and 3 African Dewlaps (from UTAH ! Thx girl)

You got 2 poms!!! Serious happy dance!
celebrate.gif

Trying to hatch some giant dewlap africans, but all the eggs are infertile.
Just candled and all are looking ok for the moment, phew!
smile.png
Great news!
hey guys sorry for going mia a lot lately super busy getting ready for the appraisers to come (one step closer to owning our home
bun.gif
)

warning pic heavy
big_smile.png

the big girls love their new roosts

paid the kids 25 cents for each bucket of dirt clods they picked up, chicks and ducklings are very happy!

size difference between one of the meaties i got from a friend on sunday (probably almost 2 weeks old) and one of the new ones that came today (hatched monday)

little ones eating (2ish week old pullets, new meaties, and the 2 older fatties)

6ish week old pullet, 2ish week old pullet, and the new meaties (love the results of the fermented feed so far)

just had bath time

my hopefully trio (hatched 8 and bought 3, then sold 8 lol) i am keeping
love.gif
Cap (captain america), Lilac, and Daisy

having a swim
Fingers crossed that everything is on track with your home purchase!

I'm amazed at the difference a week is in meatie sizes. Mine are about three times the size of my bosses' meaties. With a week difference.
Just had my first egg hatch of the duck n geese eggs I set3/16 in the still air hovabator! Been hovering over the two bators. I mostly set my silky duck eggs,and a few hookbill, my runners weren't laying yet, a . Few silky that made it in first batch.none of the white females were fertile with the first drake., so she got a new one. They drakes are last years hatch and some probably aren't ready yet;) I am now sure my hookbills seem to go 26 days. This year has been a lot more stable.,no power out yet.! I have 13 more hoping to hatch in the next couple days and 2 goose eggs.
Silky ducks and hookbills! You have awesome taste in birds!

BATOR UPGRADES......................

from this ....

this....

it can hold 75 goose eggs spaced as in the photo .... Just imagin if I crowd them
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom