Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

What do u all do while your waiting for the eggs to hatch? Ive got 8 days left for my 12 silver appleyards. My first hatch and Im going nuts! The anticipation is killong me. My incubator is in the midldle of the house so I walk by it 20 times a day. I stop and stare like it helps. Lol

Can someone help me. I've got duck eggs I've been incubating and today is day 23 while turning them I decided to candle them and noticed two have poked through the membrane at the air cell but hadn't crack the shell. When I checked again I noticed what looks like blood on the inside of the air cell. What should I do. I'm thinking that the person I got them forms duck must have layed on them before I got them.

What do u all do while your waiting for the eggs to hatch? Ive got 8 days left for my 12 silver appleyards. My first hatch and Im going nuts! The anticipation is killong me. My incubator is in the midldle of the house so I walk by it 20 times a day. I stop and stare like it helps. Lol
A watched pot never boils, a watched egg never cracks. LOL, just kidding! We've all been there. IT's a fun excercise to gain a pound on bacon and chocolate cake, and then try to loose it through walking between lock down and hatch.....
lau.gif
I mostly just stick to the first half.

Can someone help me. I've got duck eggs I've been incubating and today is day 23 while turning them I decided to candle them and noticed two have poked through the membrane at the air cell but hadn't crack the shell. When I checked again I noticed what looks like blood on the inside of the air cell. What should I do. I'm thinking that the person I got them forms duck must have layed on them before I got them.
Wow, they should not be doing anything like that at day 23, if your sure your daykeeping is correct, I'd wonder about the others. I'd leave them to hatch on their own, just in case.

A watched pot never boils, a watched egg never cracks. LOL, just kidding! We've all been there. IT's a fun excercise to gain a pound on bacon and chocolate cake, and then try to loose it through walking between lock down and hatch.....
lau.gif
I mostly just stick to the first half.
MMmmmm Bacon
droolin.gif

Hi Jessie , they should be ok, just put them into lock down now they have internally pipped, to keep the membrane moist.

Hi jmpeters, ha panic mostly at the mo! I think we are going crazy. My incubator is on the coffee table in the lounge. Every tweet I hear be it from the tv or outside I think it's the ducks finally getting on with it, but no!

Nebraskagirl, I thought that too about lock down but a few people on this site said they don't go into lockdown until they know they've pipped internally as that's then when they can shrink wrap. From what I gather you don't really see anything with the internal pip but you start to hear them cheeping and pecking at the shell. I risked candling yesterday and this morning as I couldnt hear anything, and sure enough they are safely still within the main membrane grr. At least there was no chance of shrink wrapping. So if your quick and you are sure you can't hear anything then have a speedy look.
At least that's my understanding so any one feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm hatching 5 Indian runners but yep nothing much is going on with them, just slightly rocking shells. Still no noises. I already have 1 Cayuga, 1 Aylesbury and they have a daughter. The 2 are 18 months and kiddo is a year. Only had them for a few weeks, I don't think the poor things had much interaction with people as they were terrorfied. Getting there slowly though. Do you have any already?

Last edited:
I'm down to 7 with my 1st call duck babies and I swear its as bad as it was when I was down to my last few days of pregnancy. I talk to the eggs when I turn them. My husband laughs.

Back
Top Bottom