Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

Goin Quackrrs... it wasn't a stinker. I thought it was but there was no smell whatsoever. Then after I logged off BYC.. about 25 minutes later that discolored egg pipped. Boy, have I got so much more to learn!

Last edited:
helpful as always, i have been rolling, but right once, left once and then right again, flipping them sounds a bit easier, ill mist them when i turn them each day, they started behind the 8 ball anyway so any help i can give them i will

Yeh I only started turning them properly during the end if week two and they are ok so don't worry. It doesn't seem to be something that's mentioned much - maybe it's a load of rubbish but it does make sense! Apparently the same rule applies when your candling - to turn them evenly!

So was there a stinker then!? Yeh sometimes the discolouration is either a bad egg, sometimes I think poop marks, or where the membranes drying where they're about to pip. Lucky you noticed it pip! You can open the incubator but super quick!

I know. I have an addiction to quack.

LOL. My hubs would never sneak anything in my bators. He'd never find empty space.
I occasionally have to add water and sponges partway through hatch. Just be quick. No worries.
Fingers crossed. I love East Indies. Who did you get your eggs from?
Deep breath. Ducklings tend to come three days early for me. All my presets are accurate, but most of my eggs are super-fresh and I think that may be the variable.

I ordered them off eBay from Tennessee. I hope they do alright the air cells aren't the best. Where in Western Washington are you? I'm in Aberdeen.

I usually lock mine down when I candle and see the first internal pip. It's more reliable than any calendar for me.

If you've checked with more than one thermometer and your temp is right on, then I'm stumped.
Saddle cells look like they sound like they would. Usually occurs when eggs are shaken during shipping. I've got some locked down that are super-sketchy. Not doing the shipped eggs thing too many more times in this lifetime. I've got one that's got a Texas cell. As in: the air cell looks like the state of Texas!
I would average the three. I have one of those heat-reading laser guns and I'll zap individual eggs if I'm getting weird readings.
Hands off the eggies. Let them do their thing. I see you have a Hovabator. Is that the Genesis? You're golden. Best tabletop incubator ever.
Keep busy. That's my trick.
Glad you got rid of the stinker.  Now hands off those eggies! :)

Stressing really bad. Had an East India make a small external pip last night when I went to bed. He was still active when I checked on him at 2am, now there is no notice nothing. I've tried talking to it and lightly tapped it once and nothing. What do I do?

frow.gif

Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't been on here much. Been super busy! We have been getting so much rain here lately sometime's I swear my house moved to Washington, lol. My run and pens are flooded, I've spent the last month digging ditches in a futile effort to get it drier for the birds. Now the city has started work on storm drainage, which I hope should help once they are done, but in the mean time my fence has been taken out and my birds are having be in their muddy coop and yard 24/7. Plus no fence=no being outside getting anything done since I have 2 toddlers, I can't watch them to make sure they are staying in the yard while in the coop.
he.gif

But the ducks do love it, lol. My chickens haven't laid in 3 weeks though, they aren't doing well with it. So I really wish I could get it taken care of soon!

I've got 12 olandsk dwarf, a couple d'uccle, 18 or so call eggs, and 6 goose eggs in the incubators. And a dozen guinea eggs are on their way to my incubator too.
celebrate.gif

Stressing really bad. Had an East India make a small external pip last night when I went to bed. He was still active when I checked on him at 2am, now there is no notice nothing. I've tried talking to it and lightly tapped it once and nothing. What do I do?
I'd be tempted to break abit of shell away and see what you can see. Maybe it's sleeping!? i hope it is.
:frow Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't been on here much. Been super busy! We have been getting so much rain here lately sometime's I swear my house moved to Washington, lol. My run and pens are flooded, I've spent the last month digging ditches in a futile effort to get it drier for the birds. Now the city has started work on storm drainage, which I hope should help once they are done, but in the mean time my fence has been taken out and my birds are having be in their muddy coop and yard 24/7. Plus no fence=no being outside getting anything done since I have 2 toddlers, I can't watch them to make sure they are staying in the yard while in the coop.
he.gif
But the ducks do love it, lol. My chickens haven't laid in 3 weeks though, they aren't doing well with it. So I really wish I could get it taken care of soon! I've got 12 olandsk dwarf, a couple d'uccle, 18 or so call eggs, and 6 goose eggs in the incubators. And a dozen guinea eggs are on their way to my incubator too.
celebrate.gif
Hi Julie! Wow that really is muddy, lucky ducks but poor chickens! I hope it dries up soon. Ouu when are your eggies due?

I'd be tempted to break abit of shell away and see what you can see. Maybe it's sleeping!? i hope it is.
Hi Julie! Wow that really is muddy, lucky ducks but poor chickens! I hope it dries up soon. Ouu when are your eggies due?

It has a small air hole that I can see in a bit I don't see any movement. The air cells on these weren't the greatest

If there really is nothing I'd open the hole up a bit more and see for sure it just sit tight for a bit longer to be sure? If it's gone I imagine it will start going cold and smelling. What was your humidity at during incubation? Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Back
Top Bottom